Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Where to Watch Live: Live Streaming Information of Opening Ceremony
By Deepak Vikraman | February 7, 2014 5:38 PM EST
When the Indian contingent walks out for the athletes parade during the opening ceremony of the Sochi Winter Olympics on Friday, one significant aspect will be missing - there will be no Indian flag.
Where to Watch Live
The opening ceremony is scheduled for a 7 pm local time (9.30 pm IST) start with live coverage on Star Sports 4 and Star Sports HD2. There is no official live streaming option available on StarSports.com at the moment. Viewers in the UK can catch the coverage on BBC, with the live streaming option HERE, HERE or HERE.
Viewers in Australia catch the action live online via the Ten Network HERE. NBC has the rights to showcase the Olympics in the US, and the audience can watch all the action live online HERE, except for the opening ceremony which will have a delayed coverage on Friday night. Viewers in Africa can catch the action live via SuperSport HERE.
With the IOC de-recognising the Indian Olympic Association for its seriously dysfunctional functioning, the three Indian athletes - luger Shiva Keshavan, alpine skier Himanshu Thakur and cross-country skier Nadeem Iqbal - will be performing under the Olympic flag, not the Indian one.
"It's a very sad situation for us," Keshavan said. "We are amateur athletes and our only pride is to represent our country. "It's a big disappointment to compete under the other flag.
"But we understand the IOC action because we have a lot of problems with corruption in sports. We have so many mountains, we have 3,000 kilometres of Himalayas but not enough facilities for training. I hope the IOC decision will help to change the situation for the good in the future."
Of course, none of the Indian athletes are seriously expected to compete for a medal in Sochi, but the mere fact that they will not be technically representing India is just a pity. But Keshavan said that will not take the complete gloss away from competing in such a great occasion as the Olympics.
"It's amazing to be here as every Olympics are very special for me," he said. "Russia is a new experience as I always was curious about the country. Being here in Sochi is great as there are great sporting facilities here."
The opening ceremony, as it always is, is expected to be yet another grand festival of colours, art and fireworks, with several big wigs from Russia and beyond expected to be present.
The show will be hosted by Russian celebrities Ivan Urgant and Yana Churikova.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet