Manchester United News: Red Devils Defender will Leave Old Trafford After the 2013/14 Season
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 7, 2014 5:21 PM EST
Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic formally issued a statement, through the club's Web site, that he will be leaving Old Trafford at the end of the 2013/14 season.
Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic announced that he will be leaving Old Trafford when the season ends
The Serbian international's contract will expire this coming summer and after eight years of donning the Red uniform, while winning fifteen trophies in the process, he plans to move to a new environment, perhaps to rejuvenate himself and his career.
"It's the last year of my contract and I have had eight wonderful years here," Vidic told manutd.com.
"My time at this great Club will always rank as the best years of my career. I never could have imagined winning 15 trophies and I will certainly never forget that fantastic night in Moscow, memories that will live with me and the fans forever."
"However, I have decided that I will move on at the end of this season. I want to challenge myself again and try to make the best of myself in the coming years."
The United skipper further stated that he has no plans of moving to a Premier League rival, with numerous top European clubs, like Juventus, Monaco, and AC Milan, interested in securing his services.
"I'm not considering staying in England as the only club I ever wanted to play for here is Manchester United and I was lucky enough to be part of this Club for so many years. I've got a few options to move on and I will choose the right one for me and for my family," he revealed.
In any case, such revelation will give David Moyes an additional headache as fellow centre-back Rio Ferdinand also has an expiring contract and is not getting any younger at 35.
The Scot manager must guide the club to European qualification to be able to lure world-class players to head to Manchester.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales