‘Hasee Toh Phasee’ Review Roundup: Charming and Refreshing Rom-Com
By Ankita Mehta | February 7, 2014 4:46 PM EST
"Hasee Toh Phasee" starring Parineeti Chopra and Sidharth Malhotra has mostly received positive reviews from critics upon its release. The film which is romantic comedy has been appreciated by critics for its fresh and experimental storyline.
HTP official Facebook page
Hasee Toh Phasee poster
The pre-release buzz has been in favour of the film and even the opening day reviews are positive.
"Hasee Toh Phasee" is Vinil Mathew's debut directorial jointly produced by Karan Johar's Dhaarma Production and Phantom Productions.
The film also features Adah Sharma, Manoj Joshi, Sharat Saxena and Neena Kulkarni in important roles.
Read the critics reviews here:
Meena Iyer of The Times of India writes: "Hasee Toh Phasee is for the romantics who like their martinis stirred not shaken. Debutant director Vinil Mathew's straight-forward approach is smart and fresh; his characters are lovable. Nikhil(Sidharth Malhotra) is an optimist, who believes once committed, there's no straying. Meeta( Parineeti Chopra) is a non-conformist; she's a go-getter in her personal and professional space. Naturally Nikhil and Meeta's ideologies don't match. But there's an under-current in their equation that keeps the audience hoping they that they will seek each other out.
"If you're looking to rediscover the magic of goofy love around Valentines, give HTP a shot. You may not like this film if you are a die-hard romantic who only subscribes to Bollywood formula."
Mohar Basu of Koimoi.com writes: "The film is both pleasantly surprising and utterly baffling in equal amounts. Though Vinil Mathew's direction might not be perfect due to his lack of experience, Hasee Toh Phasee will definitely win your heart for the symbiotically arranged, pitch perfect chemistry of Parineeti Chopra and Sidharth Malhotra. It was passionate and compelling, almost to make me wish that they were a real life couple and that alone becomes the winning shot. Though Parineeti walks away with the thunder for her stellar performance, the film works primarily and mostly because it is so refreshingly lovable.
"Thankfully the movie wasn't much of a knock off contrary to what you'll expect from usual romantic comedies. Though you can find inklings of the formulaic ideas typical to the genre, the story is unusual. It is unexpected that in times when the industry is infested with clone-ish designs, there is a film that sticks strictly to the most commonplace genre and tries creatively something new with it.
"Boy meets girl is often the most overused, mainstream , rom-com idea but Vinil Mathew's treatment makes Hasee Toh Phasee flourish as a winner. I was disappointed with many parts but overall the film stayed with me longer than I expected it to. Sidharth's subtle charm and Parineeti's crackling yet astonishingly stunning performance are the biggest attributes why the film had me engaged till the lights went off."
Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama writes: "First, the plot! HASEE TOH PHASEE is about the rebellious Meeta [Parineeti Chopra] and the mischievous Nikhil [Sidharth Malhotra], who are struggling to fit into their respective families. Nikhil bumps into Meeta on the occasion of her sister Diksha's wedding and falls in love with her other sister Karishma [Adah Sharma].
"HASEE TOH PHASEE is gorgeously filmed and has the required finesse. Vishal-Shekhar's musical score only enhances the mood and setting. The duo packs in soothing-and-soulful ['Zehnaseeb' and 'Manchala'] and entertaining ['Shake It Like Shammi' and 'Drama Queen'] tracks, making it an infectious album.
"On the whole, HASEE TOH PHASEE is a bright-and-breezy, charming and refreshing rom-com that makes you smile, laugh and gets you moist-eyed at regular intervals. A qualitative film that warms the cockles of your heart. Go for it!"
Sweta Kaushal of Hindustan Times writes: "The movie traverses the journey of Meeta finally gaining her sanity (the 'mental' that she is) and Nikhil losing his!Parineeti wonderfully essays the role of an addict who is also a brilliant scientist. She balances between the emotional and innocent shades of her character very well. Siddharth Malhotra, Sharat Saxena (Nikhil's dad), Neena Kulkarni (his mom) and Manoj Joshi (Parineeti's dad), too play their parts with precision.
"Hasee Toh Phasee gets better in the second half where you are treated with well-balanced melodrama and humour. Especially, the sequence where Sharat Saxena interrogates Parineeti has the elements in the perfect mix. While there is a clear indication of the beginning of romance between Siddharth and Parineeti, ACP Pradyuman and Daya-gyan from CID keeps the audience smiling.
"There is no extra-melodrama, yet the movie is emotional. There are no crass jokes, yet it is humourous and to top it all, there are no love making scenes, yet the movie defines romance it its own style!"
Bindu Suresh Rai of Emirates 24/7 writes: "There is a moment in 'Hasee Toh Phasee' when Sidharth Malhotra's character realises he's forgotten that he's locked Parineeti Chopra in a room for reasons one may probably fail to even recall later.
What remains in the audience's mind is his lacklustre expression of remorse, which, unfortunately, is the underlying thread that binds this romantic comedy that lacks heart and humour at intervals.
"This is only Sidharth's second film and the young actor comes across as confident and possibly endearing at times; what he lacks is intensity in those emotionally charged moments, which will probably be honed as his Bollywood career shapes up. Parineeti is a step ahead of her co-star, proving once again her deadpan comic timing and an innocence that is imperative for the audience to find some connection with a character that is complex and strange at best.
"And in case you were wondering, the film's title has simply no connection with the story, just emerging as another one of those Johar gems that defy logic."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase