India's Iron Ore Export Tax Pressures Stemcor's Asset Sale
February 7, 2014 3:04 PM EST
A new Indian export tax on iron ore pellets is weighing on the sale of the local assets of indebted British steel trader Stemcor, with at least one bidder saying the deal was now less lucrative than they had initially expected.
A stacker unloads iron ore onto a pile at a mine located in the Pilbara region of Western Australia December 2, 2013. REUTERS/David Gray
India began implementing a five percent tax on exports of iron ore pellets on January 27, a week after the deadline for the submission of financial bids for Stemcor's India assets.
At least two major local firms - Jindal Steel and Power Ltd(JNSP.NS) and JSW Steel Ltd(JSTL.NS) - have confirmed they had bid for the assets, which include iron ore mines and a 4-million-tonne a year pellet plant in the eastern Odisha state, collectively valued by an industry source at about $700-$750 million.
"It does affect it because if you're willing to do exports you lose that much more money which is equal to the export tax," Ravi Uppal, chief executive of Jindal Steel and Power, told Reuters by telephone when asked about the impact of the tax on the valuation of Stemcor's assets.
Uppal declined to comment further, but a senior company official, who declined to be identified because he is not authorised to speak to the media, said Jindal was still interested in the deal, but only if the price was "low enough".
Stemcor, one of the world's largest independent steel traders, declined to comment on the tax but said the sale process was making progress.
"We continue to have discussions with a number of parties regarding the sale," Charles Armitstead, a Stemcor spokesman, told Reuters via email.
The five percent export tax equates to an additional 500 rupees, or $8, per tonne in cost for an exporter, said Dhruv Goel, managing partner at industry consultancy SteelMint.
The main attraction of Stemcor's assets for the steelmakers are its iron ore mines, especially as mining bans and restrictions in the key producing states of Goa and Karnataka have slashed domestic supplies.
The bidders are not as keen on Stemcor's pellet plant because of stiff competition as more companies set up new facilities. Domestic capacity for iron ore pellets is seen rising to around 80 million tonnes in a couple of years from 50-55 million tonnes now, said SteelMint's Goel.
Stemcor, a private British firm controlled by members of the Oppenheimer family, is raising money after failing to repay an $850 million debt in May last year. It reached a deal with lenders to extend a standstill agreement to the end of February that allows it to restructure a $1.25 billion debt.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports