Stricter New Rules for Canadian Citizenship Proposed
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 7, 2014 1:56 PM EST
Immigrants to Canada seeking to make the country their second home have to spend more time and should master one official language before becoming legitimate Canadian citizens, based on a set of new stricter rules proposed by Immigration Minister Chris Alexander on Thursday.
A Canadian flag waves in front of a Blackberry logo at the Blackberry campus in Waterloo, September 23, 2013. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
The revisions to the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act would now require immigrants, from a previous three years, to spend four out of six years in Canada before applying for citizenship to become a permanent resident.
"Citizenship is not a right. It's a privilege," Mr Alexander said.
"Those four years are a demonstration of one's commitment to reside here and to participate as a citizen," he pointed out.
John McCallum, immigration critic, agreed with the requirement on longer residency. "I do agree with the principle that when a person becomes a citizen of Canada, that person should be a real citizen and not a citizen of convenience," Mr McCallum said.
Among the proposed new rules:
- Permanent residents must be physically present in Canada for 183 days each year in the four of those six years.
- They need to sign a formal "intent to reside" in the country.
- Citizenship applicants aged 14 to 64 must meet language requirements and pass a knowledge test. Currently, the age range for those requirements is between 18 to 54.
- Fines for bogus citizenship applications will be increased to a $100,000 fine and/or five years in jail.
- Permanent residents who are members of the Canadian Armed Forces will have a fast track to citizenship.
Part of the proposed new rules likewise called for the revocation of citizenship from dual nationals convicted of terrorism, high treason or spying. Citizenships of individuals who joined groups engaged in armed conflict with Canadian troops abroad will likewise be retracted.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft