Sochi 2014: Australia's Flag Bearer Alex Pullin is Looking Forward to Compete in the Events Despite Security Threats
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 7, 2014 1:29 PM EST
Two-time Cross World Champion snowboarder Alex Pullin is Australia's flag bearer for the opening ceremony of Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. This is the second time that he will be participating in the Olympics and having had chosen to carry that nation's flag couldn't be more remarkable for Pullin.
"To be passed that flag by Lydia, who is someone in winter sport who has done so many great achievements and really pushed it forward for the younger generations coming forward," Pullin told ABC News.
"That is something that really needs to be appreciated."
Recently, there have been claims that terrorists will target the Olympic Games sending explosives hidden in toothpaste tubes, in addition to Islamic terrorists who have exposed reprisal against Russian president Vladimir Putin. The extremists were reportedly targeting on humiliating Putin in front of the world.
Pullin isn't really troubled about the potential threats surrounding the big sporting event, The Australian reported. He told the news Web site that he is confident about the security.
"We flew in over navy ships that were floating out in the water, all surrounding the airport, and later when we looked out the window there was a military officer manning once every 20 metres."
"There's such a security lock down on the whole thing, and this event is taken very seriously," he said.
Australian athletes are reportedly going to be restricted from visiting other tourist cities in Russia for security purposes. All the athletes who have already arrived in Sochi were told to stay within a certain area.
Pullin had complete trust on the security that the Australian goverment as well as the Russian government had established. Instead of worrying about the terrorist threat, Pullin is going to focus on his performance to ensure that he will be able to bring pride to the country.
"I'm feeling really good," he said.
"Whoever I line up against, I'll be giving it my best to get across the line in front of them," he added.
Pullin participated in the Winter X Games in 2008. He made his debut in the Olympics in 2010. Then, Pullin competed in the World Cup in 2011 and 2013. When he is not playing snowboarding, Pullin plays for his reggae band called Love Charli.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS