Sochi 2014: Australia's Flag Bearer Alex Pullin is Looking Forward to Compete in the Events Despite Security Threats
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 7, 2014 1:29 PM EST
Two-time Cross World Champion snowboarder Alex Pullin is Australia's flag bearer for the opening ceremony of Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. This is the second time that he will be participating in the Olympics and having had chosen to carry that nation's flag couldn't be more remarkable for Pullin.
"To be passed that flag by Lydia, who is someone in winter sport who has done so many great achievements and really pushed it forward for the younger generations coming forward," Pullin told ABC News.
"That is something that really needs to be appreciated."
Recently, there have been claims that terrorists will target the Olympic Games sending explosives hidden in toothpaste tubes, in addition to Islamic terrorists who have exposed reprisal against Russian president Vladimir Putin. The extremists were reportedly targeting on humiliating Putin in front of the world.
Pullin isn't really troubled about the potential threats surrounding the big sporting event, The Australian reported. He told the news Web site that he is confident about the security.
"We flew in over navy ships that were floating out in the water, all surrounding the airport, and later when we looked out the window there was a military officer manning once every 20 metres."
"There's such a security lock down on the whole thing, and this event is taken very seriously," he said.
Australian athletes are reportedly going to be restricted from visiting other tourist cities in Russia for security purposes. All the athletes who have already arrived in Sochi were told to stay within a certain area.
Pullin had complete trust on the security that the Australian goverment as well as the Russian government had established. Instead of worrying about the terrorist threat, Pullin is going to focus on his performance to ensure that he will be able to bring pride to the country.
"I'm feeling really good," he said.
"Whoever I line up against, I'll be giving it my best to get across the line in front of them," he added.
Pullin participated in the Winter X Games in 2008. He made his debut in the Olympics in 2010. Then, Pullin competed in the World Cup in 2011 and 2013. When he is not playing snowboarding, Pullin plays for his reggae band called Love Charli.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3