Sochi 2014: Australia's Flag Bearer Alex Pullin is Looking Forward to Compete in the Events Despite Security Threats
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 7, 2014 1:29 PM EST
Two-time Cross World Champion snowboarder Alex Pullin is Australia's flag bearer for the opening ceremony of Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. This is the second time that he will be participating in the Olympics and having had chosen to carry that nation's flag couldn't be more remarkable for Pullin.
"To be passed that flag by Lydia, who is someone in winter sport who has done so many great achievements and really pushed it forward for the younger generations coming forward," Pullin told ABC News.
"That is something that really needs to be appreciated."
Recently, there have been claims that terrorists will target the Olympic Games sending explosives hidden in toothpaste tubes, in addition to Islamic terrorists who have exposed reprisal against Russian president Vladimir Putin. The extremists were reportedly targeting on humiliating Putin in front of the world.
Pullin isn't really troubled about the potential threats surrounding the big sporting event, The Australian reported. He told the news Web site that he is confident about the security.
"We flew in over navy ships that were floating out in the water, all surrounding the airport, and later when we looked out the window there was a military officer manning once every 20 metres."
"There's such a security lock down on the whole thing, and this event is taken very seriously," he said.
Australian athletes are reportedly going to be restricted from visiting other tourist cities in Russia for security purposes. All the athletes who have already arrived in Sochi were told to stay within a certain area.
Pullin had complete trust on the security that the Australian goverment as well as the Russian government had established. Instead of worrying about the terrorist threat, Pullin is going to focus on his performance to ensure that he will be able to bring pride to the country.
"I'm feeling really good," he said.
"Whoever I line up against, I'll be giving it my best to get across the line in front of them," he added.
Pullin participated in the Winter X Games in 2008. He made his debut in the Olympics in 2010. Then, Pullin competed in the World Cup in 2011 and 2013. When he is not playing snowboarding, Pullin plays for his reggae band called Love Charli.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers