Cavaliers GM Chris Grant Fired; Fire Sale in Cleveland Next?
By James Patrick Quizon | February 7, 2014 1:27 PM EST
For failing to rebuild properly the Cleveland Cavaliers, Chris Grant was axed from his position as the franchise’s general manager according to team owner Dan Gilbert.
NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers at New York Knicks
Gilbert’s reasoning is simple; the team would have wanted to battle for a playoff spot this season but the Cavaliers have underperformed so far and they are laying the blame on Grant, who had made some questionable moves before and during the regular season.
"This has been a very difficult period for the franchise," Gilbert said in an official statement. "We have severely underperformed against expectations.”
The Cavaliers carry a 16-33 win-loss card so far despite Grant’s moves including drafting Anthony Bennett as the overall number one pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, signing veterans Jarrett Jack and Andrew Bynum and trading for Chicago Bulls star Luol Deng. Grant also hired Mike Brown as head coach.
The Bennett pick appears to be the start of the downfall for the Cavs as he and the franchise became the laughingstock of the league as Bennett struggled even for important minutes in the first few months of his NBA career.
While there is still time for Bennett to prove the critics wrong, things don’t look to good for what is appearing to be a “bust” for the top pick in the draft. The 20-year-old Canadian has averaged 3.3 points and 2.6 rebounds and just 11 minutes in 37 games for the Cavs this season.
Meanwhile, Jack has provided some scoring (8.9 PPG) but has not lived up to expectations to serve as one of the veterans to help put some order in the Cavs' locker room.
Dealing for Deng (sending Bynum to the Bulls) had the same purpose of having more veteran presence in the team but again, the Cavs have played uninspired and unmotivated basketball even with his acquisition. Deng has logged in 15.3 PPG, 5.8 RPG and 2.3 APG in 14 games for the Cavs and he is set to become a free agent after the 2013-2014 season.
Assistant GM David Griffin will temporarily assume Grant’s role.
Is this the start of a fire sale in Cleveland? Who will follow his footsteps next? Head coach Mike Brown is a good candidate after having various run-ins with his own players this season.
What about star Kyrie Irving? Various reports have stated that Irving is acting like a spoiled brat on and off the court. The third year pro’s contract with Cleveland expires after the 2014-2015 season and after the Cavaliers disastrous experience with “The Decision” years ago, the franchise doesn’t want to lose another star via free agency for nothing.
Whatever the Cavs decide to do next, they made the good start in firing Grant, who after all, is primarily responsible for putting the team in this hole.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories