Air NZ Latest Sexy Safety Video With Scantily Clad Swimsuit Models Slammed For Objectifying Women
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 7, 2014 1:25 PM EST
A week after Delta Airlines launched its 1980s-themed inflight safety video, Air New Zealand announced a new similar material that will surely send temperatures inside its cabins soaring with the wind.
An airplane of German air carrier Lufthansa lands at the airline's main hub, the Fraport airport in Frankfurt, March 14 2013. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
Air NZ has ditched the Hobbits in favor of sexier scantily clad swimsuit models cavorting in paradise to do the routine checks in its new in-flight safety video. As expected, rights groups blasted the material saying it has objectified women.
No less than models from Sports Illustrated's annual swimsuit issue such as Chrissy Teigen, Ariel Meredith, Hannah Davis, and Jessica Gomes will flash on the in-flight safety video of Air NZ flights beginning end of February. Supermodel Legend Christie Brinkley will also be there.
But they are not the only ones there. So are the locals and the breath-taking scenery of Cook Islands in the South Pacific.
Dubbed as "the world's most beautiful safety video," Air NZ partnered with Sports Illustrated for the latest clip to coincide with the latter's 50th anniversary.
But Deborah Russell, a Massey University lecturer and feminist commentator, after seeing a preview of the video's behind-the-scenes making, said it's a "highly sexualized" safety video.
"My concern is that as a woman I get on a plane to go to a business meeting say - something serious - and I am confronted by women in bikinis in what are highly sexualised images," Ms Russell said.
"That jars. I want to be taken seriously but it seems that suddenly they are saying that my sexuality is all that matters about me."
"I don't want to watch this one," she added.
Air NZ, in presenting the concept of the latest in-flight safety video, said its goal was to encourage passengers to travel to Rarotonga, apart from stressing core safety messages.
"This is 'money can't buy' global attention focused on a key destination and our airline," Jodi Williams, Air NZ head of global brand development, said noting the company hopes the material will drive traffic to the Auckland-Rarotonga and Los Angeles-Rarotonga routes.
Rod Brodie, head of marketing at the University of Auckland Business School, said it's impossible Air NZ would experience outrage from its female passengers.
"People don't boycott airlines over their safety videos," he said.
Henry Harteveldt, a travel analyst for Hudson Crossing, explained in-flight safety videos nowadays aim to inject fun into an otherwise usual, boring routine.
"Airlines recognize that safety videos are beyond boring, that travelers aren't paying attention to them. But they're required, and the content they contain is important," Mr Harteveldt earlier told Seattle Times.
But "if they're fun, more people will pay attention to important information. And they will serve as a reason for travelers to fly the airline. It's a small reason, but small things can help an airline stand out."
Intrigued how Air NZ's new in-flight safety video may look like?
Watch it here.
Video Source: YouTube/ Air New Zealand
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales