Legendary Kiwi Musician Neil Finn Urges Lorde To Leave New Zealand
By Anne Lu | February 7, 2014 10:18 AM EST
Another successful Kiwi is urging Lorde to leave New Zealand. After former model Charlotte Dawson said that their home country would just crush the 17-year-old rising star’s spirit if she stayed, legendary musician Neil Finn has also advised Lorde to leave the country.
Finn, like Dawson, does not have an issue with New Zealand itself, but the media, which he suspects would make the whole celebrity experience bad for Lorde.
“Those news teams are idiots,” he said to The Guardian, referring to the media’s welcome to Lorde upon her return to the country.
Lorde has called the media’s welcome to her at the airport “a bit sad” after photographers and reporters pushed her and her family just to get a shot or a word from her.
“New Zealand had, up until that moment, been quite a good environment [for her] because people are not super celebrity-oriented, they pretty much leave you alone. But it keeps reaching this new critical mass and now with winning two Grammys, I think it’s getting pretty intense,” Finn continued.
Finn, who has an OBE, has reached international success as a member of the bands Spit Enz and Crowded House. So if there’s anyone who knows what would be best for Lorde as an emerging international superstar, Finn’s a good candidate.
“I’d think she might go well moving to New York or something, where there are more famous people and less bother about it. It wouldn’t be a bad move to get among the centre of operations,” he said.
Dawson has had a similar advice for Lorde, which she gave via Newstalk ZN’s Mike Hosking in late January.
“Unless you’re very mediocre, you need to get out of there. You just have to if you want to keep succeeding because otherwise it will just crush your spirit,” she said.
The “Australia’s Next Top Model” judge, who left New Zealand at 16 to model in Europe, condemned the media , saying they will just make her life difficult.
“It’s just that the media are going to give her a very, very hard time and my advice is she’s going to have to leave New Zealand.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills