Legendary Kiwi Musician Neil Finn Urges Lorde To Leave New Zealand
By Anne Lu | February 7, 2014 10:18 AM EST
Another successful Kiwi is urging Lorde to leave New Zealand. After former model Charlotte Dawson said that their home country would just crush the 17-year-old rising star’s spirit if she stayed, legendary musician Neil Finn has also advised Lorde to leave the country.
Finn, like Dawson, does not have an issue with New Zealand itself, but the media, which he suspects would make the whole celebrity experience bad for Lorde.
“Those news teams are idiots,” he said to The Guardian, referring to the media’s welcome to Lorde upon her return to the country.
Lorde has called the media’s welcome to her at the airport “a bit sad” after photographers and reporters pushed her and her family just to get a shot or a word from her.
“New Zealand had, up until that moment, been quite a good environment [for her] because people are not super celebrity-oriented, they pretty much leave you alone. But it keeps reaching this new critical mass and now with winning two Grammys, I think it’s getting pretty intense,” Finn continued.
Finn, who has an OBE, has reached international success as a member of the bands Spit Enz and Crowded House. So if there’s anyone who knows what would be best for Lorde as an emerging international superstar, Finn’s a good candidate.
“I’d think she might go well moving to New York or something, where there are more famous people and less bother about it. It wouldn’t be a bad move to get among the centre of operations,” he said.
Dawson has had a similar advice for Lorde, which she gave via Newstalk ZN’s Mike Hosking in late January.
“Unless you’re very mediocre, you need to get out of there. You just have to if you want to keep succeeding because otherwise it will just crush your spirit,” she said.
The “Australia’s Next Top Model” judge, who left New Zealand at 16 to model in Europe, condemned the media , saying they will just make her life difficult.
“It’s just that the media are going to give her a very, very hard time and my advice is she’s going to have to leave New Zealand.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Sept. 22-26 Spoilers: Updates On Nick And Sharon’s Wedding, Hilary, Neil, Phyllis, Chelsea, Billy And More
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown