Flappy Bird: The New Gaming Sensation, Everything You Want to Know
By Aditya Bhat | February 7, 2014 1:36 AM EST
Flappy Bird, the relatively unknown bird-flying game from Vietnam-based developer Dong Nguyen is highly addictive, and has now gone viral.
This free game, which was released in May 2013, has currently climbed to the number one spot in both Apple and Google's stores.
Flappy Bird is a free game that has reached top place in Apple and Google stores.
The reason for the game finding instant success is said to be the overnight popularity it got from waves of funny tweets, YouTube videos and reviews on both iTunes and Google, which all helped in boosting the image of the game, reported Mashable.
"The popularity could be my luck," said Nguyen, the indie developer, during an interview with Chocolate Lab Apps. He stated that the main reason for its success is due to the game being simple, and added that most of the West-made games are unnecessarily complex.
The popularity of Flappy Bird has also made people take note of Nguyen's two other games - Super Ball Juggling and Shuriken Block - which have reportedly gained fourth and ninth places, respectively.
The developer has promised that a Windows Phone 8 version of Flappy Bird will be out in a couple of weeks.
The chief objective of the game is to allow the bird to fly, by tapping the screen. The player needs to make sure the bird does not hit pipes and other obstacles. Everytime the player manages to pass a pipe, he gains a point.
Flappy Bird has been criticised by many but still remains a popular title, as some players find it extremely difficult.
The graphics of the game is akin to Super Mario and has a very basic mechanics. However, the game has advertisements, which is how it earns its revenue. It is said that the game earns on average $50,000 per day from in-app ads, The Verge reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Update Version 1.1, Eon Ticket And Delta Episode Info Appear
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft