Flappy Bird: The New Gaming Sensation, Everything You Want to Know
By Aditya Bhat | February 7, 2014 1:36 AM EST
Flappy Bird, the relatively unknown bird-flying game from Vietnam-based developer Dong Nguyen is highly addictive, and has now gone viral.
This free game, which was released in May 2013, has currently climbed to the number one spot in both Apple and Google's stores.
Flappy Bird is a free game that has reached top place in Apple and Google stores.
The reason for the game finding instant success is said to be the overnight popularity it got from waves of funny tweets, YouTube videos and reviews on both iTunes and Google, which all helped in boosting the image of the game, reported Mashable.
"The popularity could be my luck," said Nguyen, the indie developer, during an interview with Chocolate Lab Apps. He stated that the main reason for its success is due to the game being simple, and added that most of the West-made games are unnecessarily complex.
The popularity of Flappy Bird has also made people take note of Nguyen's two other games - Super Ball Juggling and Shuriken Block - which have reportedly gained fourth and ninth places, respectively.
The developer has promised that a Windows Phone 8 version of Flappy Bird will be out in a couple of weeks.
The chief objective of the game is to allow the bird to fly, by tapping the screen. The player needs to make sure the bird does not hit pipes and other obstacles. Everytime the player manages to pass a pipe, he gains a point.
Flappy Bird has been criticised by many but still remains a popular title, as some players find it extremely difficult.
The graphics of the game is akin to Super Mario and has a very basic mechanics. However, the game has advertisements, which is how it earns its revenue. It is said that the game earns on average $50,000 per day from in-app ads, The Verge reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates And A ‘Doctor Who’ DLC Coming
- ‘Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney' For Nintendo 3DS Released On Aug. 29, 2014 In North America [WATCH VIDEO]
- SIMS 4 Missing Contents To Be Added Via DLC and New Details Unveiled From Livestream
- 5 Free Apps For Smartphones That Can Help Make You Look Beautiful
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Dragon Age Keep Save Import and Multiplayer Mode Explained
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October