Flappy Bird: The New Gaming Sensation, Everything You Want to Know
By Aditya Bhat | February 7, 2014 1:36 AM EST
Flappy Bird, the relatively unknown bird-flying game from Vietnam-based developer Dong Nguyen is highly addictive, and has now gone viral.
This free game, which was released in May 2013, has currently climbed to the number one spot in both Apple and Google's stores.
Flappy Bird is a free game that has reached top place in Apple and Google stores.
The reason for the game finding instant success is said to be the overnight popularity it got from waves of funny tweets, YouTube videos and reviews on both iTunes and Google, which all helped in boosting the image of the game, reported Mashable.
"The popularity could be my luck," said Nguyen, the indie developer, during an interview with Chocolate Lab Apps. He stated that the main reason for its success is due to the game being simple, and added that most of the West-made games are unnecessarily complex.
The popularity of Flappy Bird has also made people take note of Nguyen's two other games - Super Ball Juggling and Shuriken Block - which have reportedly gained fourth and ninth places, respectively.
The developer has promised that a Windows Phone 8 version of Flappy Bird will be out in a couple of weeks.
The chief objective of the game is to allow the bird to fly, by tapping the screen. The player needs to make sure the bird does not hit pipes and other obstacles. Everytime the player manages to pass a pipe, he gains a point.
Flappy Bird has been criticised by many but still remains a popular title, as some players find it extremely difficult.
The graphics of the game is akin to Super Mario and has a very basic mechanics. However, the game has advertisements, which is how it earns its revenue. It is said that the game earns on average $50,000 per day from in-app ads, The Verge reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: Master Chief’ Collection Update Detailed As ‘Halo: Nightfall’ Continues To Roll
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Details Update; New Exotic Weapons Coming And New Speculations On Free Trial
- AT&T Nexus 6 Returned To Motorola Due To Software Bug: Black Screen And Failure To Connect To Service
- Official Android 5.0 Lollipop Update For HTC One Google Play Editions Delayed Due To New Software Request
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More