Sochi 2014 Olympics Opening Ceremony: Where to Watch Live, Online Streaming Information of Dazzling Show
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 7, 2014 12:30 AM EST
Fireworks explode over the Olympic Stadium during the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games July 27, 2012.
As the time has approached to witness the grand opening ceremony of the Sochi Olympics, the question everyone is asking is how to watch the spectacular function online, through live feeds and on television.
So far, as being able to catch up with the online live streaming is concerned, it will depend on whether such accessibility is curtailed in certain countries. For example, in the United States, websites giving live streaming will be blocked. In such circmstances, people in US should find out ways to overcome the restriction and watch the grand event.
As Slate reports, it is possible to skirt the restriction by using a virtual private network, or VPN, which can be configured to replace one's IP address with one based in another country. But one must keep the legality of such processes in mind.
But most other countries including India should be able to access the following online live telecast options.
Online live coverage
Various news outlets have claimed that they will be covering extensive parts of the games. It is easy to guess that they wouldn't miss the most-anticipated grand opening ceremony.
The Russian Times has created an exceptional website , exclusively for broadcasting live events in Sochi Olympics. Apart from them, one can also check out the official website of the 2014 Winter Olympics that will be regularly feeding in most up-to-date and live happenings in the venue.
Watch On TV
If you are in America, you can catch up with the Opening ceremony telecast by NBC at around 7:30 pm EST. It will be available in NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, and CNBC. However, the channel will not telecast the event live as it is scheduled to take place on Feb 7, at 8 pm (local time), 11 am EST.
US residents can also find local television listings here.
But there is good news for Canadians. CBC will broadcast the entire opening ceremony starting with a pre-show at 10 am ET. Canadians can also keep track of the aforementioned CBC website, if watching it online is more convenient for them.
If you are in Australia, the opening ceremony of the olympics will be live on TEN and ONE. In Sydney and Melbourne it begins at 2:50 am on the morning of Saturday, 8 February. 360 hours of live action will be broadcasted from Sochi, and 560 hours of competition in total, including a record 98 events across 15 sports and disciplines.
For those who are in the United Kingdom, BBC Sport will provide live comprehensive digital coverage of the games available for all devices - computers, mobile and tablets. BBC Two will also provide live coverage from 7 am GMT everyday and a highlights program at 7pm GMT.
If you are in Russia, but not around Sochi or have not bought the tickets of the venue, you can still catch up with the ceremony in various locations. The organizers have created various live sites to watch the celebration from different cities. Check the list here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- MH17 Memorial: Australia Prepares for August 7 National Day of Mourning
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools