Happy Birthday Bob Marley: The Rastaman's 69th Birth Anniversary [10 Best Songs, Quotes,Video]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 7, 2014 12:17 AM EST
Singer, songwriter and guitarist Bob Marley, born on 6 February 1945, would have turned 69 today, had it not been for the terminal illness that claimed his life. Marley is credited for making the world aware about Jamaican music and the Rastafari movement. His music is unparalleled in its influence, irrespective of race, color and creed.
Bob Marley, who has sold over 25 million albums worldwide, can now add the honor of a parasite being named after him to his list of achievements.
Marley grew up in a settlement in Trench Town, and that primarily influenced his music. As he grew, Marley, influenced by the poverty and the injustice of the system, starting imbibing the stories of Trench Town into his songs. His songs with its primarily political and humane messages went on to rattle the Jamaican government itself.
Marley's last concert was held on 23 September, 1980 at the Stanley Theatre in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He died on 11 May 1981 of cancer, at age of 36.
Here are the 20 best Bob Marley songs.
1. Three Little Birds
A catchy, fun and easy to sing-along song, Three Little Birds was written by Marley, and was sung by Marley and The Wailers first time in June 1977.
2. One Love
Marley, along with Curtis Mayfield, wrote this song. It was released in June 1977 and was distributed by Island Def Jam. The deeply spiritual song has a thought-provoking message, with Marley calling on the human race to unite and live in 'One Love, One Heart'.
3. Buffalo Soldier
The Buffalo Soldier could be termed a political song, with the message highlighting the plight of African slaves far from their homeland. Marley and NG Williams wrote this song, and it was produced by Errol Brown and Marley & The Wailers. It was first released at a radio show in May 1983.
4. No Woman, No Cry
Highlighting the extreme poverty in the ghettos of Jamaica, this song was written by Vincent Ford. Marley first sang it in August 1975. It was produced by Chris Blackwell and Steve Smith.
Jamming was written by Marley and was released in 1977. The song calls for unity in Jamaica, which at that time was in a political turmoil. The song attempts to cast out the curse of political violence.
6. Could You Be Loved
This is another Marley and The Wailers song. Written by Marley, this one is an upbeat song that tries to tell people to love everyone without judging. It was released in June 1980 under the Island Def Jam Record Label.
7. I Shot The Sheriff
This song was written by Marley. This highly controversial hit tells the story of a man who shoots a sheriff who was harassing him. It was produced by The Wailers and Chris Blackwell.
8. Get Up, Stand Up
Written by Peter Tosh and Marley. With its strong political message, the song calls on people to take a stand against the wrong. It was produced by The Wailers and Chris Blackwell and was released in September 1973.
9. Is This Love?
Among the best known Marley songs, ‘Is This Love?’ is a simple romantic song. It was written by Marley and was released in February 1978.
10. Lively Up Yourself
Lively Up Yourself is about being positive about today.The groove song was written by Marley and first hit the airwaves in October 1971.
Ten Best Bob Marley Quotes
- Overcome the devils with a thing called love.
- Judge not, before you judge yourself. Judge not, if you’re not ready for judgement.
- Live for yourself and you will live in vain. Live for others and you will live again.
- The biggest coward is a man who awakens a woman’s love with no intention of loving her.
- The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
- When asked how he could perform 2 days after being shot: The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I? Light up the darkness.
- Every man gotta right to decide his own destiny.
- Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
- Love the life you live. Live the life you love.
- One good thing about music — when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Twitter Reactions on Bob Marley
'Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet" - Bob Marley. Happy Bithday!
— Janæ ⨺ (@Emk4y) February 6, 2014
A late happy birthday to a man who changed the world and bought peace with his music | Bob Marley |… http://t.co/sHmpgdK90U — Tumai Hawaiki Taylor (@thtaylor_RDA) February 6, 2014
Show your self some love today and listen to the message King Bob Marley provided during his time that is still reaching across the world.
— Chase N. Cashe (@ChaseNCashe) February 6, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff