Galaxy S5 Release Date Update: 2K Resolution is Awesome on 6-Inch+ GS5 – Report
By Erik Pineda | February 6, 2014 5:16 PM EST
Bob Freking via Yugatech
Samsung Galaxy S5 Concept Image by Bob Freking
But for the GS5 display to really achieve unique awesomeness, its screen profile needs to be no less than 6-inch diagonally, CNET suggested on its report. Per numerous reports and leaks, the Galaxy S5 is touted to boast a 2K-laced display panel but the screen size is only 5.2-inch at the maximum.
A 5.2-inch GS5 with 2K resolution will be under-appreciated, said the same CNET report by Jessica Dolcourt, explaining that extremely high resolutions will hardly make a difference on the naked eye.
However, the pixel boost that comes with 2K will be more apparent should Samsung decide to stretch further the Galaxy S5 screen. Case in point is the 6.3-inch Galaxy Mega, the screen of which is limited to 206ppi.
In the event Samsung would bump up the Mega screen resolution to 2K status, the supersize Galaxy phablet will easily see pixel density upgrade of up to 466ppi, Dolcourt wrote.
In theory, 2K on mobile phones with screens that start at 1080p will deliver much better display rendering, definitely overwhelming the iPhone 5S's Retina panel, which is limited by its 4-inch screen.
A screen that is pleasing to the eyes is only among the draws that are packed with the Galaxy S5 on its rumoured release date this late February.
The iPhone 6 rival is believed to headline killer features such an octa-core Exynos 6 chipset at 2.0GHz or a quad-core Snapdragon 805 CPU at 2.3GHz. Any of the powerhouse chips are destined to work with 3GB of RAM that for the most part confirms of a beastly GS5 package.
A combo of rear cam at 16MP and front cam at 3.2MP will be on board too and any photos and videos produced with the Galaxy S5 should be accommodated without issues by the device's internal memory of up to 64GB.
Running out of storage room shouldn't be a problem as the GS5 will have its familiar memory expansion slot where users can easily slide in up to 64GB of microSD card for virtually unlimited digital locker.
Also, operating hours in a single charge of the GS5 have been extended as the energy-efficient Exynos or Snapdragon chips are encoded to work in tandem with the massive 3200mAh battery.
Out of the box, Samsung is expected to power the Galaxy S5 with its own take of Android OS KitKat 4.4, layered on top by the company's TouchWiz skin, which according to reports is toned to reflect more of the Google mobile environment.
Another killer feature that will debut with the GS5 is the fingerprint sensor that is embedded with the handset's touchscreen, allowing users to unlock the device by pressing on any part of its sprawling screen.
The Galaxy S5 release date is on Feb 24, as confirmed by The New York Times and by Samsung via its press invites that highlight the Unpacked 5 event ahead of the 2014 MWC in Barcelona, Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell