iPhone 6 Camera Secret of f/1.8 to Beat Galaxy S5 16 MP; Will it Stand Against Sony Sirius 20.7 MP Shooter?
By Ryan Inoyori | February 6, 2014 3:43 PM EST
iPhone 6 latest report suggest that Apple is planning to use 10 MP camera with f/1.8 and will come with new and improved filters that is lighter and thinner than previous IR filters. Is this going to beat Galaxy S5 and will it match Sony Sirius camera lens?
iPhone 6 with 10 MP Camera
Chinese Web site IT168 reported that sources within Taiwan's supply chain claims that Apple is adding 10 MP rear camera with aperture of f/1.8 on the iPhone 6. Moreover, the new 10 MP camera will have new and improved filters that is lighter and thinner compared to IR filters previously used.
IT168 points out Japanese resin manufacturer JSR's creation of a new filter from transparent resin and its Arton resin used on several digital and video cameras with CMOS sensors is designed to create filters lighter and thinner than IR filters which is rumoured to be a part of the iPhone 6.
In effect, users will have better chance to take clearer images as the resin can minimise colour shifts on CMOS imaging sensors.
Other Camera Features
Lighter filters will help capture higher quality images with CMOS sensors and the rumoured aperture f/1.8 is going to boost low-light performances due to its brighter capabilities. Moreover, it will also allow users to shot images with shallow depth of field and blur the background but does not affect sharp focus of closer subjects.
But that's not the only rumoured implementation, according to sources. Apple seems to be working with a new image stabilisation technology based on recent patent filling, according to GSM Arena in addition to brighter and faster camera lens technology.
iPhone 5S vs. Xperia Z1
Early reports revealed that Sony will use the same 20.7 MP Sony G lens with Carl Zeiss optics from Xperia Z1/Z1s on Sirius.
Based on Xperia Z1 camera details, Sony used Exmor RS sensor and BIONZ image processing plus Carl Zeiss optics having aperture of f/2.0. It is quite close to iPhone 6 rumours, but the Xperia Z1 features 20.7 MP for higher resolution.
Aperture with lower rating means brighter captures than higher ones. And in the comparison of iPhone 5S and Xperia Z1 cameras, both have their own downsides.
Trusted Reviews compared the iPhone 5S and the Xperia Z1 camera performance and revealed that Apple's latest iPhone knockout most results generated by the Xperia Z1 due to Sony's imaging inconsistencies.
|Camera Test||Apple iPhone 5S||Sony Xperia Z1|
|Capturing details||Brighter and edges are sharper||Little bit darker with mushy edges|
|Downsampling in 8 MP||Bright but details begin to fade||Contrast seems low but captures more detail|
|Edge sharpness||Better details in well lit environments||Not so impressive|
|Low-light scenes||Low-light means low light||Impressive low-light processing|
|Macro and depth of field||Captures deeper||A bit shallower|
|Blurring||Blur but brighter||Blur and darker|
Unlike with the iPhone 5S, Sony Xperia Z1's camera is more interesting due to its aggressive nature, larger sensor and higher resolution - more room to play with. However, the iPhone 5S's camera is more consistent on capturing image, enabling users to simply get images done quickly. But the bottom line is the iPhone 5S sustains great shots in well-lit places, while the Xperia Z1 kicks in under low-light areas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health