Lakers Trade News: Gasol Still on Cavs Radar; Dion Waiters or Tristan Thompson Could Be Traded for Spaniard
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 6, 2014 3:13 PM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers have reportedly stayed in contact with the Los Angeles Lakers for a potential deal involving All-Star power forward Pau Gasol, a source close to situation reported on Wednesday.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
The Cavs and the Lakers have already engaged in trade talks several weeks ago on the possibility of swapping Gasol for Andrew Bynum before Cleveland decided to trade their disgruntled center in exchange for All-Star small forward Luol Deng.
But with the Suns backing out from their trade negotiation with the Lakers, the Cavaliers re-emerges as possible trade partners for the purple-and-gold franchise as they plan to create enough cap space and receive assets in exchange for the Spaniard.
According to reports, the Suns halted their trade negotiation with the Lakers because they believed the asking price was just too steep for Gasol. The Lakers reportedly wanted to get one of the two most valuable first-round picks the Suns possessed - the pick from the Wizards and the one from Minnesota.
Fox Sports provided details of the Suns' unproductive trade talks with the Lakers:
"The Phoenix Suns have stopped talks to acquire Pau Gasol because they feel the Lakers want too much for the veteran post player, according to a person familiar with the situation," reported Fox Sports.
"Phoenix could own four picks in the June draft, and the Lakers coveted one of the more valuable two - the pick the Suns could potentially get from Minnesota or the one they might receive from Washington."
"Both of those picks are protected and will revert back to Washington and Minnesota if they stumble. The Wizards' pick is top-12 protected, so the Suns technically own it at this point (17th overall before Tuesday's games), while the Timberwolves' pick is top-13 protected, meaning Minnesota holds it right now (12th overall before Tuesday)," he added.
Cavaliers Coming at Gasol
The Cavaliers have not ended their pursuit of Gasol, who will sit out for at least a week due to a groin injury. If the Suns decide not to engage in another talks with the Lakers, the Cavaliers might hammer the deal for Gasol by sending a package of draft picks and young players (Dion Waiters or Tristan Thompson).
"Speaking of the Cavaliers, ESPN reports that the Lakers have stayed in contact with Cleveland regarding a possible Gasol deal, though nothing is happening on that front right now due to the Cavs' record being just as bad as L.A.'s," Lakerholics reported.
For more Lakers trade rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine