The Best Athletes Are the Best Looking Too: Fact or Coincidence?
By Christine Lazaro | February 6, 2014 3:10 PM EST
(Video Credit: YouTube/lookcycletv)
Some people have all the luck in the world. A new study discovers the reason behind why the best athletes in various sports also end up to be the one with the good looks too.
Today reports that it was Erik Postma from the University of Zurich in Switzerland who made a survey online that involves both men and women on discovering the guys who are most attractive also in terms of their athletic capabilities. Mr Postma is not just an evolutionary biologist but also an avid cyclist.
His survey included 816 people who were selected by a survey link e-mailed to them. He started off sending it to the ones included in his contact list and requesting the ones he knew to forward it to their own circles too. Some of those who made negative comments were the guys who found it awkward to comment on who they think is most attractive among men.
However, there were some who turned out cooperative and based their answers on the kind of men that they think the opposite sex will find extremely attractive. Besides, it is their way of knowing better too who their competitors are when eyeing the females they like.
The Process of Postma's Survey
Mr Postma selected 80 pictures from the participants of Tour de France and instructed the ones under survey to throw out the pictures if they recognise the athlete. In this way, they can only base their choices on who is attractive by the face and not of their credibility as popular winners already.
As result, the top 10 per cent of the cyclists' photos were discovered 25 per cent better looking in terms of race performance compared to the ten at the bottom of the survey results. The figures of the survey were stated by Mr Postma in the Biology Letters journal.
Through time, Mr Postma believes that most individuals have analysed the measure of attractiveness by numerous factors like shape of chin, length of fingers, facial hair and even size of penis.
"First, performance may be positively correlated with general health, vigor or strength, or certain personality characteristics (competitiveness), which in their turn may be associated with attractiveness. Alternatively, facial attractiveness may signal endurance performance in particular," Mr Postma concluded.
As for the number one athlete on the list of his survey results, it turned out to be Amael Moinard of France.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown