Copa Del Rey Results: Tie Not Over Yet, Warns Carlo Ancelotti After Real Madrid Grab Big Lead Over Atletico
By Deepak Vikraman | February 6, 2014 3:06 PM EST
A sound gameplan and hard work were the deciding factors in Real Madrid's convincing win over Atletico Madrid in the Copa Del Rey semifinal first leg, according to Angel Di Maria.
Real planted a rather large foot in the final of the Copa De Rey with a resounding 3-0 win over Atletico Madrid, thanks to a couple of deflected efforts and another goal from the increasingly impressive Jese Rodriguez.
Manager Carlo Ancelotti said this performance at the Camp Nou had been his side's best performance since he took over from Jose Mourinho in the summer, and Di Maria revealed it was the result of plenty of strategic work done in training.
"We did a great job," Di Maria was quoted as saying by Real Madrid's official website. "We did what we've been working on in training -- pressing up front and giving one hundred percent.
"We are happy because we got the result that we wanted. We knew that their game is all about intensity and running, and we had to do the same or more than them. We did a great job and we still have to do a good job in their stadium."
While the tie might look over courtesy the massive advantage, Ancelotti, as is expected, urged his side to be cautious, insisting it will take another similar performance in the second leg at the Vicente Calderon next week to seal a place in the final, where they are likely to meet rivals Barcelona, who eased to a 2-0 first leg victory over Real Sociedad.
"The result is very good and the match was too, but we have to be careful," Ancelotti said. "We have to do the same in the second leg, but it will not be easy because Atletico Madrid will do their best to turn things around. We have to prepare well for the match, like we did for tonight's."
Atletico midfielder Koke admitted his side face a daunting task of trying to overhaul the 3-0 deficit in the second leg, but did promise the team would throw the kitchen sink and then some in an attempt to stay alive in the competition they won last season.
"We're annoyed," Koke told the club's official website. "We have not had much luck and have not done in the big game what we wanted to do. Madrid have had a great game and we're sad. There is a second leg, it is very difficult but there is always hope
"In football everything is possible. It is difficult, but we have to go back to the Calderon knowing that we are Atletico Madrid. We will try with all means to go for it and everyone deserves it. There's always hope."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate