Copa Del Rey Results: Tie Not Over Yet, Warns Carlo Ancelotti After Real Madrid Grab Big Lead Over Atletico
By Deepak Vikraman | February 6, 2014 3:06 PM EST
A sound gameplan and hard work were the deciding factors in Real Madrid's convincing win over Atletico Madrid in the Copa Del Rey semifinal first leg, according to Angel Di Maria.
Real planted a rather large foot in the final of the Copa De Rey with a resounding 3-0 win over Atletico Madrid, thanks to a couple of deflected efforts and another goal from the increasingly impressive Jese Rodriguez.
Manager Carlo Ancelotti said this performance at the Camp Nou had been his side's best performance since he took over from Jose Mourinho in the summer, and Di Maria revealed it was the result of plenty of strategic work done in training.
"We did a great job," Di Maria was quoted as saying by Real Madrid's official website. "We did what we've been working on in training -- pressing up front and giving one hundred percent.
"We are happy because we got the result that we wanted. We knew that their game is all about intensity and running, and we had to do the same or more than them. We did a great job and we still have to do a good job in their stadium."
While the tie might look over courtesy the massive advantage, Ancelotti, as is expected, urged his side to be cautious, insisting it will take another similar performance in the second leg at the Vicente Calderon next week to seal a place in the final, where they are likely to meet rivals Barcelona, who eased to a 2-0 first leg victory over Real Sociedad.
"The result is very good and the match was too, but we have to be careful," Ancelotti said. "We have to do the same in the second leg, but it will not be easy because Atletico Madrid will do their best to turn things around. We have to prepare well for the match, like we did for tonight's."
Atletico midfielder Koke admitted his side face a daunting task of trying to overhaul the 3-0 deficit in the second leg, but did promise the team would throw the kitchen sink and then some in an attempt to stay alive in the competition they won last season.
"We're annoyed," Koke told the club's official website. "We have not had much luck and have not done in the big game what we wanted to do. Madrid have had a great game and we're sad. There is a second leg, it is very difficult but there is always hope
"In football everything is possible. It is difficult, but we have to go back to the Calderon knowing that we are Atletico Madrid. We will try with all means to go for it and everyone deserves it. There's always hope."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit