LGBT Marriages Now Legal In Scotland
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 6, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Overwhelmingly voted by 105 votes against 18, same-sex marriage is now legalized in Scotland despite strong opposition from the country's various religious institutions.
The Scottish government maintained the passage of the country's same-sex marriage bill was an important step for equal rights.
"It is only right that same sex couples should be able to freely express their love and commitment to each other through getting married," Alex Neil, Scotland cabinet secretary for health and well being, said in a statement.
"Marriage is about love, and that has always been at the heart of this issue."
Until 1980, being gay was considered a criminal offense in Scotland. "This is a profoundly emotional moment for many people," Tom French, policy coordinator for the Equality Network, said in a statement.
As expected, the country's religious institutions, such as Scottish Catholic Church and Presbyterian Church of Scotland, blasted the historic achievement.
Under the new bill, religious entities in Scotland aren't forced to solemnize same-sex unions. In the previous law, same-sex civil marriages can only be held in a place agreed between the couple and the registrar, but not within religious premises.
"At a time in Scotland when we are considering what kind of nation we want to live in, this legislation sends all the wrong signals about the place of marriage and family in modern day Scotland," Fred Drummond, Evangelical Alliance Scotland spokesman, said.
Scotland becomes the 17th global nation to allow and legalize same-sex marriages. The Netherlands was the first in 2001.
Other nations that legalized same-sex marriage are Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Britain, Canada, Denmark, France, Iceland, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden and Uruguay. Parts of the U.S. and Mexico have also legalized gay marriages.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff