Singapore Competition Watchdog Invites Public Comments to Planned SIA-Air New Zealand Alliance
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 6, 2014 1:59 PM EST
Singapore's competition watchdog has sought the public to comment on its Web site on the planned alliance between Singapore Airlines Ltd (SIA) and Air New Zealand Ltd (Air NZ).
The Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS) said the announcement was in relation to a notification it received on Jan. 30 which claimed the proposed strategic alliance could restrict competition on air travel between the two countries.
In January, SIA and Air NZ announced of an alliance that will allow the latter to fly the Auckland-Singapore route and the former to operate the Airbus A380 to New Zealand. The union could boost by up to 30 per cent year-round over time the existing capacity between Singapore and New Zealand, the two companies had said in a joint statement earlier.
Passengers of the two airplane carriers will get access to greater network and loyalty benefits over existing arrangements, as well as seamless transfers, improved access to lounge facilities, improved recovery times in the event of a disruption, and improved benefits accrual and redemption by members of each party's respective frequent flyer schemes when travelling on the other Party's services.
But the notification the CCS received states the alliance contradicts Singapore's Section 34 of the Competition Act "which prohibits agreements between undertakings, decisions by associations of undertakings or concerted practices which have as their object or effect the prevention, restriction or distortion of competition within Singapore."
Expected to push through in December 2014, Air New Zealand will fly daily between Auckland and Singapore, while SIA's daily Singapore-Christchurch service will continue.
Apart from SIA and Air New Zealand, Jetstar, Qantas' budget unit, and Malaysia Airlines are the other airlines that connect Singapore and New Zealand.
The public can comment on this Web site - http://www.ccs.gov.sg/content/ccs/en/Public-Register-and-Consultation/Public-Register.detail.proposed-strategic-alliance-between-singapore-airlines-ltd-and-a.html
Deadline for submissions is on or before Feb. 26, 2014.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM