Singapore Competition Watchdog Invites Public Comments to Planned SIA-Air New Zealand Alliance
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 6, 2014 1:59 PM EST
Singapore's competition watchdog has sought the public to comment on its Web site on the planned alliance between Singapore Airlines Ltd (SIA) and Air New Zealand Ltd (Air NZ).
The Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS) said the announcement was in relation to a notification it received on Jan. 30 which claimed the proposed strategic alliance could restrict competition on air travel between the two countries.
In January, SIA and Air NZ announced of an alliance that will allow the latter to fly the Auckland-Singapore route and the former to operate the Airbus A380 to New Zealand. The union could boost by up to 30 per cent year-round over time the existing capacity between Singapore and New Zealand, the two companies had said in a joint statement earlier.
Passengers of the two airplane carriers will get access to greater network and loyalty benefits over existing arrangements, as well as seamless transfers, improved access to lounge facilities, improved recovery times in the event of a disruption, and improved benefits accrual and redemption by members of each party's respective frequent flyer schemes when travelling on the other Party's services.
But the notification the CCS received states the alliance contradicts Singapore's Section 34 of the Competition Act "which prohibits agreements between undertakings, decisions by associations of undertakings or concerted practices which have as their object or effect the prevention, restriction or distortion of competition within Singapore."
Expected to push through in December 2014, Air New Zealand will fly daily between Auckland and Singapore, while SIA's daily Singapore-Christchurch service will continue.
Apart from SIA and Air New Zealand, Jetstar, Qantas' budget unit, and Malaysia Airlines are the other airlines that connect Singapore and New Zealand.
The public can comment on this Web site - http://www.ccs.gov.sg/content/ccs/en/Public-Register-and-Consultation/Public-Register.detail.proposed-strategic-alliance-between-singapore-airlines-ltd-and-a.html
Deadline for submissions is on or before Feb. 26, 2014.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Too Much Blow for Mourning Families as Rebels Steal Bodies; Complete Passenger. Crew List Released
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russia’s Putin World’s Getting Small, Pitted Against Global Leaders
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- How to Deal With Slackers at the Office
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People