Singapore Competition Watchdog Invites Public Comments to Planned SIA-Air New Zealand Alliance
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 6, 2014 1:59 PM EST
Singapore's competition watchdog has sought the public to comment on its Web site on the planned alliance between Singapore Airlines Ltd (SIA) and Air New Zealand Ltd (Air NZ).
The Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS) said the announcement was in relation to a notification it received on Jan. 30 which claimed the proposed strategic alliance could restrict competition on air travel between the two countries.
In January, SIA and Air NZ announced of an alliance that will allow the latter to fly the Auckland-Singapore route and the former to operate the Airbus A380 to New Zealand. The union could boost by up to 30 per cent year-round over time the existing capacity between Singapore and New Zealand, the two companies had said in a joint statement earlier.
Passengers of the two airplane carriers will get access to greater network and loyalty benefits over existing arrangements, as well as seamless transfers, improved access to lounge facilities, improved recovery times in the event of a disruption, and improved benefits accrual and redemption by members of each party's respective frequent flyer schemes when travelling on the other Party's services.
But the notification the CCS received states the alliance contradicts Singapore's Section 34 of the Competition Act "which prohibits agreements between undertakings, decisions by associations of undertakings or concerted practices which have as their object or effect the prevention, restriction or distortion of competition within Singapore."
Expected to push through in December 2014, Air New Zealand will fly daily between Auckland and Singapore, while SIA's daily Singapore-Christchurch service will continue.
Apart from SIA and Air New Zealand, Jetstar, Qantas' budget unit, and Malaysia Airlines are the other airlines that connect Singapore and New Zealand.
The public can comment on this Web site - http://www.ccs.gov.sg/content/ccs/en/Public-Register-and-Consultation/Public-Register.detail.proposed-strategic-alliance-between-singapore-airlines-ltd-and-a.html
Deadline for submissions is on or before Feb. 26, 2014.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble