Singapore Competition Watchdog Invites Public Comments to Planned SIA-Air New Zealand Alliance
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 6, 2014 1:59 PM EST
Singapore's competition watchdog has sought the public to comment on its Web site on the planned alliance between Singapore Airlines Ltd (SIA) and Air New Zealand Ltd (Air NZ).
The Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS) said the announcement was in relation to a notification it received on Jan. 30 which claimed the proposed strategic alliance could restrict competition on air travel between the two countries.
In January, SIA and Air NZ announced of an alliance that will allow the latter to fly the Auckland-Singapore route and the former to operate the Airbus A380 to New Zealand. The union could boost by up to 30 per cent year-round over time the existing capacity between Singapore and New Zealand, the two companies had said in a joint statement earlier.
Passengers of the two airplane carriers will get access to greater network and loyalty benefits over existing arrangements, as well as seamless transfers, improved access to lounge facilities, improved recovery times in the event of a disruption, and improved benefits accrual and redemption by members of each party's respective frequent flyer schemes when travelling on the other Party's services.
But the notification the CCS received states the alliance contradicts Singapore's Section 34 of the Competition Act "which prohibits agreements between undertakings, decisions by associations of undertakings or concerted practices which have as their object or effect the prevention, restriction or distortion of competition within Singapore."
Expected to push through in December 2014, Air New Zealand will fly daily between Auckland and Singapore, while SIA's daily Singapore-Christchurch service will continue.
Apart from SIA and Air New Zealand, Jetstar, Qantas' budget unit, and Malaysia Airlines are the other airlines that connect Singapore and New Zealand.
The public can comment on this Web site - http://www.ccs.gov.sg/content/ccs/en/Public-Register-and-Consultation/Public-Register.detail.proposed-strategic-alliance-between-singapore-airlines-ltd-and-a.html
Deadline for submissions is on or before Feb. 26, 2014.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’