LG Optimus G Pro Official Android 4.4 KitKat in Q2 2014 Along with 7 Other Phones; 6 Changes on Optimus UI Found
By Ryan Inoyori | February 6, 2014 1:44 PM EST
LG Optimus G Pro owners can gladly expect an upcoming Android 4.4 KitKat update by the second quarter of 2014 after LG India confirms the upgrade plan. Android 4.4 update will bring the latest Optimus UI and may even reach other LG phones such as G Pro Lite and Optimus Vu 2.
Confirmed Android 4.4 for Optimus G Pro
LG finally begins to prepare Android 4.4 KitKat firmware which will be pushed to other selected devices in addition to G2 and G Pad 8.3. According to LG India, Android 4.4 is expected to be released by the second quarter of the year, around June, among owners of Optimus G Pro.
"Hi Prabhjit, we are planning to provide kitkat update for G Pro at the end of Q2. Stay tuned with us for more updates," LG India direct message caught by GSM Arena.
LG will improve the icons and theme using the newest Optimus UI on Android 4.4 KitKat update. Moreover, LG may push updates real soon for the following devices which were reported to skip Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update.
1. Optimus F3, F6, F7
2. G Pad 8.3
3. G Pro Lite
4. Optimus L9 2
5. Optimus Vu 2
LG G2 Update Scheduled
For those who don't own any LG Google Play edition devices, the company did confirm an upcoming update for G2 in March 2014 and for G Pad 8.3 in June.
GSM Arena captured a screenshot that described LG G2 Android 4.4 KitKat update scheduled at the end of January confirmed by LG Mobile Saudi Arabia. However, units of LG G2 units outside Saudi Arabia aren't getting the same update time as the Middle East but probably around March or so in gradual rollout.
Meanwhile, LG Optimus 4X HD is reportedly locked on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean as its end of life cycle, but no confirmation yet from LG has been released so far.
Android 4.4 and Optimus UI
A video was uploaded in YouTube and it features the Korean variant of LG G2 running Android 4.4 KitKat. Although the upgrade levelled up the device to the latest Android version, there are no major changes found on the smartphone, except for some UI-related tweaks, such as the following:
1. New Optimus UI version
2. Rearranged elements on notifications tray
3. New Printing option
4. Full screen mode in camera app
5. Browser apps are now in full screen
6. Black or white bars on virtual buttons disappear in full screen mode.
LG G2 smartphones in Korea received the latest Android 4.4 update last December. But the update still hasn't spread to other territories, which may confirm the March rollout date for international and other variants.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide