Tight Race on Floyd Mayweather’s Next Fight Poll as Khan Gets 47% of the Votes and Maidana Gets 53%
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 6, 2014 10:46 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather's next fight poll has shown an extremely tight race between Amir Khan and Marcos Maidana.
As of this writing, Khan has received 6,340 votes or 47% of the total votes while Maidana received 7,107 votes which is equivalent to 53%. The results can be seen being updated real-time after a person has voted.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
In Feb. 4, Mayweather requested all the boxing fans all over the world to participate in a poll so he can decide whether he should face Khan or Maidana in his upcoming May 3 fight in Las Vegas. Mayweather's decision to start the poll is reportedly influenced by the negative feedbacks that he gets from boxing fans when news about him facing Khan come up.
"Originally, they were thinking Khan," Mayweather's uncle Jeff told Mlive.com.
"But with so much negative feedback, with the blogs and various things, it seemed like every time you saw Amir Khan's name attached to it, it said he had no chance."
"I think if they go based on titles, and who brings something to the table, it's Maidana," he added.
"I don't think that many people want to see Floyd fight Amir Khan."
Mayweather is currently the World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion, WBC Super welterweight champion, and World Boxing Association (WBA) (Super) super welterweight champion. Maidana holds the WBA welterweight title. As for Khan, he was won WBA, WBA (Super), and International Boxing Federation (IBF) light welterweight titles.
Khan has already squared off with Maidana in December 2010 and won. He was able to retain WBA light welterweight title before losing it to Lamont Peterson the following year, in December 2011.
"Amir Khan doesn't have a title and he hasn't done anything to deserve a shot," said Jeff. He went on and said that the boxing fans are eager to see Mayweather fight the boxer who defeated Adrien Broner," he added.
Khan expressed his dismay on Twitter.
"Mayweather says he needs an easy fight and fans want to see a knockout so maybe that's the reason he doesn't want to fight me and wants to fight Maidana," Khan tweeted.
Mayweather's next fight poll ends on Sunday. Who will it be? Khan or Maidana? Who better deserves a shot at Mayweather's 45-0 record? Let us know your thoughts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air