Tight Race on Floyd Mayweather’s Next Fight Poll as Khan Gets 47% of the Votes and Maidana Gets 53%
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 6, 2014 10:46 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather's next fight poll has shown an extremely tight race between Amir Khan and Marcos Maidana.
As of this writing, Khan has received 6,340 votes or 47% of the total votes while Maidana received 7,107 votes which is equivalent to 53%. The results can be seen being updated real-time after a person has voted.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
In Feb. 4, Mayweather requested all the boxing fans all over the world to participate in a poll so he can decide whether he should face Khan or Maidana in his upcoming May 3 fight in Las Vegas. Mayweather's decision to start the poll is reportedly influenced by the negative feedbacks that he gets from boxing fans when news about him facing Khan come up.
"Originally, they were thinking Khan," Mayweather's uncle Jeff told Mlive.com.
"But with so much negative feedback, with the blogs and various things, it seemed like every time you saw Amir Khan's name attached to it, it said he had no chance."
"I think if they go based on titles, and who brings something to the table, it's Maidana," he added.
"I don't think that many people want to see Floyd fight Amir Khan."
Mayweather is currently the World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion, WBC Super welterweight champion, and World Boxing Association (WBA) (Super) super welterweight champion. Maidana holds the WBA welterweight title. As for Khan, he was won WBA, WBA (Super), and International Boxing Federation (IBF) light welterweight titles.
Khan has already squared off with Maidana in December 2010 and won. He was able to retain WBA light welterweight title before losing it to Lamont Peterson the following year, in December 2011.
"Amir Khan doesn't have a title and he hasn't done anything to deserve a shot," said Jeff. He went on and said that the boxing fans are eager to see Mayweather fight the boxer who defeated Adrien Broner," he added.
Khan expressed his dismay on Twitter.
"Mayweather says he needs an easy fight and fans want to see a knockout so maybe that's the reason he doesn't want to fight me and wants to fight Maidana," Khan tweeted.
Mayweather's next fight poll ends on Sunday. Who will it be? Khan or Maidana? Who better deserves a shot at Mayweather's 45-0 record? Let us know your thoughts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Roman Reigns Vs Randy Orton Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools