Tight Race on Floyd Mayweather’s Next Fight Poll as Khan Gets 47% of the Votes and Maidana Gets 53%
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 6, 2014 10:46 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather's next fight poll has shown an extremely tight race between Amir Khan and Marcos Maidana.
As of this writing, Khan has received 6,340 votes or 47% of the total votes while Maidana received 7,107 votes which is equivalent to 53%. The results can be seen being updated real-time after a person has voted.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
In Feb. 4, Mayweather requested all the boxing fans all over the world to participate in a poll so he can decide whether he should face Khan or Maidana in his upcoming May 3 fight in Las Vegas. Mayweather's decision to start the poll is reportedly influenced by the negative feedbacks that he gets from boxing fans when news about him facing Khan come up.
"Originally, they were thinking Khan," Mayweather's uncle Jeff told Mlive.com.
"But with so much negative feedback, with the blogs and various things, it seemed like every time you saw Amir Khan's name attached to it, it said he had no chance."
"I think if they go based on titles, and who brings something to the table, it's Maidana," he added.
"I don't think that many people want to see Floyd fight Amir Khan."
Mayweather is currently the World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion, WBC Super welterweight champion, and World Boxing Association (WBA) (Super) super welterweight champion. Maidana holds the WBA welterweight title. As for Khan, he was won WBA, WBA (Super), and International Boxing Federation (IBF) light welterweight titles.
Khan has already squared off with Maidana in December 2010 and won. He was able to retain WBA light welterweight title before losing it to Lamont Peterson the following year, in December 2011.
"Amir Khan doesn't have a title and he hasn't done anything to deserve a shot," said Jeff. He went on and said that the boxing fans are eager to see Mayweather fight the boxer who defeated Adrien Broner," he added.
Khan expressed his dismay on Twitter.
"Mayweather says he needs an easy fight and fans want to see a knockout so maybe that's the reason he doesn't want to fight me and wants to fight Maidana," Khan tweeted.
Mayweather's next fight poll ends on Sunday. Who will it be? Khan or Maidana? Who better deserves a shot at Mayweather's 45-0 record? Let us know your thoughts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks