New South Wales Hikes Penalty for Female Genital Mutilation to 21 Years
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 6, 2014 10:21 AM EST
To further curb the illegal practice of female genital mutilation, the New South Wales government upped the penalty by increasing it to 21 years prison term from 7 years.
The Australian state also closed a loophole by making it an offence to bring a girl out of NSW to have the procedure done elsewhere, whether in Australia or other countries, said NSW Community Services Minister Pru Goward.
Minister for Communities Victor Dominello admitted the state's difficulty in knowing the extent of the problem because of the silence involving victims and perpetrators.
NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner added that cases go undetected for years and are only discovered when the victim reaches adulthood and undergoes gynecological examination when she becomes pregnant.
He described female genital mutilation as a barbaric practice from the dark ages, and added the new law is a clear signal that NSW has zero tolerance for the practice.
Ms Goward added that the tougher law covers medical practitioners, quacks or relatives of a girl who bought a plane ticket for the procedure to be done outside NSW, and they would face severe penalty.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Satanic Sex Cult Has 1800 Men Having Sex With A Teen
- Mafia-Style Family Emerged in Thailand
- Mass Rapes In Iraq & Syria As Islamic State Seeks To Populate Caliphate; Male Muslim Recruits Also Sodomised
- Expect More Beheadings As Islamic State Urges Jihadists To Kill By Any Means Possible Australians & Other Citizens Of Nations Who Enter Into Coalition Against IS
- 5 Famous People Who've Spent Time In Jail
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4