New South Wales Hikes Penalty for Female Genital Mutilation to 21 Years
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 6, 2014 10:21 AM EST
To further curb the illegal practice of female genital mutilation, the New South Wales government upped the penalty by increasing it to 21 years prison term from 7 years.
The Australian state also closed a loophole by making it an offence to bring a girl out of NSW to have the procedure done elsewhere, whether in Australia or other countries, said NSW Community Services Minister Pru Goward.
Minister for Communities Victor Dominello admitted the state's difficulty in knowing the extent of the problem because of the silence involving victims and perpetrators.
NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner added that cases go undetected for years and are only discovered when the victim reaches adulthood and undergoes gynecological examination when she becomes pregnant.
He described female genital mutilation as a barbaric practice from the dark ages, and added the new law is a clear signal that NSW has zero tolerance for the practice.
Ms Goward added that the tougher law covers medical practitioners, quacks or relatives of a girl who bought a plane ticket for the procedure to be done outside NSW, and they would face severe penalty.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks