Neknominate Drinking Game Almost Kills NZ Man
By Anne Lu | February 6, 2014 9:43 AM EST
Neknominate is not a just a reckless social drinking game anymore, it’s also a dangerous one. A young man from Ashburton, New Zealand was hospitalised after downing a bottle of absinthe when he took part in the trending chain-mail game.
The game’s latest victim was apparently told that sculling a whole bottle of absinthe, which has as much as 90 per cent of alcohol, was akin to “suicide,” but still continued with his plan. He was taken to Ashburton Hospital on Monday night in a dangerously drunken state, and has had his stomach pumped.
The video of the man appeared on social media also on Monday, but the administrator of the Ashburton Neknomination Facebook page refused to post it.
“We warned the guy when he put it to us he wanted to do a bottle of absinthe, we told him no it’s pretty much suicide because of how potent it is and that it would not be getting posted on our page as we don’t condone behavjour like that or videos that go too far,” the administrator who refused to be named told the Guardian.
But the man continued with his quest, and that had nearly killed him.
He was still fortunate, though. Two men in Ireland met their fatal end after participating in the #Neknominate game.
Johny Byrne, 19, was found dead in a river in Co Carlow. According to The Mirror, he jumped into the river as part of the nomination process of the game.
The hashtag trend, which sees a participant sculling a whole bottle of liquor in creative and extreme ways before “neknominating” two of their friends to outdo their performance, started in the UK earlier in January 2013. It became a craze in Australia one year later, and has now reached New Zealand.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Explosion in Canada Damages Building, Five Injured
- 15-year-old's 'Impressive' Letter Adds To Online Support For Emma Watson
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate