Neknominate Drinking Game Almost Kills NZ Man
By Anne Lu | February 6, 2014 9:43 AM EST
Neknominate is not a just a reckless social drinking game anymore, it’s also a dangerous one. A young man from Ashburton, New Zealand was hospitalised after downing a bottle of absinthe when he took part in the trending chain-mail game.
The game’s latest victim was apparently told that sculling a whole bottle of absinthe, which has as much as 90 per cent of alcohol, was akin to “suicide,” but still continued with his plan. He was taken to Ashburton Hospital on Monday night in a dangerously drunken state, and has had his stomach pumped.
The video of the man appeared on social media also on Monday, but the administrator of the Ashburton Neknomination Facebook page refused to post it.
“We warned the guy when he put it to us he wanted to do a bottle of absinthe, we told him no it’s pretty much suicide because of how potent it is and that it would not be getting posted on our page as we don’t condone behavjour like that or videos that go too far,” the administrator who refused to be named told the Guardian.
But the man continued with his quest, and that had nearly killed him.
He was still fortunate, though. Two men in Ireland met their fatal end after participating in the #Neknominate game.
Johny Byrne, 19, was found dead in a river in Co Carlow. According to The Mirror, he jumped into the river as part of the nomination process of the game.
The hashtag trend, which sees a participant sculling a whole bottle of liquor in creative and extreme ways before “neknominating” two of their friends to outdo their performance, started in the UK earlier in January 2013. It became a craze in Australia one year later, and has now reached New Zealand.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton Makes First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage