Tom Cruise Sued For $1B Over Alleged Plagiarised ‘Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol’ Script
By Anne Lu | February 6, 2014 5:21 AM EST
Tom Cruise is being sued for USD1 billion by a man who claims that the script for “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol” was based on his copyrighted screenplay. Timothy Patrick McLanahan is suing the actor, along with several others, for allegedly ripping off his idea for the movie in 1998.
According to the court documents filed on Dec 20, 2013 in California, which was obtained by RadarOnline.com, the screenwriter named Cruise, Paramount Pictures, and various production companies as defendants.
McLanahan claimed that he wrote a screenplay called “Head On” in 1998. It has received a copyright certificate from the U.S. Copyright Office, which protects its material and author from unauthorised use.
He then sent the script to William Morris Agency, but it passed on it. However, McLanahan said that
The agency then sent it to another agency, CAA, without his permission.
William Morris “then shopped the script around the world, including Tom Cruise’s Rick Nicita, top agent with Creative Artist Agency.”
Nicita is the husband of Paula Wagner, who is one of Cruise’s production partners.
Then in 2011, “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol” was released.
“Upon reviewing and watching the script and movie of Ghost Protocol, I immediately recognised that the scripts for this movie had been illegally written and produced from Head On’s 1998 copyright.
McLanahan said that because the film generated close to USD1 billion, he is asking the same amount in damages.
The movie, produced by and starring Cruise, generated almost USD700 million in the box office, USD144.5 million from the DVD and blue ray sales, plus millions of dollars in movie rentals and subscription sales.
The film budget was USD145 million.
Cruise and the other defendants have yet to comment on the lawsuit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family