London Tube Strike Funny and Not-so-Funny Reactions [Latest Updates]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 6, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Over three million commuters were caught in chaos on Wednesday, when the London Underground workers began the first in a series of strikes.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron branded the strike as "shameful." However, despite the chaos, several Londoners kept up their spirits high and took to Twitter to give out some of the funniest reactions on the Tube strike.
The Reuters reported that the London Underground rail drivers plan to stay out on strike for two days this week and another two next week, in a row over job cuts and modernisation.
PM Cameron, on his official Twitter account, lambasted the unions and labelled their action as "shameful" and "bringing misery to millions of Londoners."
Speaking in parliament later, he added: "I unreservedly condemn this strike. There is absolutely no justification for a strike. We need a modernised Tube line working for the millions of Londoners who use it every day."
The police were kept on high alert outside the stations, as a few incidents of minor scuffle were reported. While the harried commuters scurried around looking for other modes of transport to get to work, a few kept the spirits up.
The London Tube strike also saw some light-hearted moments, when many took to Twitter.
Some of the funny twitter post were:
— Tom Phillips (@flashboy) February 5, 2014
Londoners, don't forget, other methods of transport are available. #tubestrike pic.twitter.com/vfDgn8CfvM — keverrst (@keverrst) February 5, 2014
— The Poke (@ThePoke) February 5, 2014
Some guy's trying to overcome #tubestrike by driving into Brixton station pic.twitter.com/LTwGCcc0AU — matt brawn (@mattbrawn) February 5, 2014
Some not-so-funny twitter posts:
— Lucy Tobin (@lucytobin) February 5, 2014
The 48 hour tube strike is causing a lot of havoc! But this is a little bit rude no? http://t.co/HxFnYyBKJK pic.twitter.com/TJXIUeUr2l — Rinse FM (@RinseFM) February 5, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories