London Tube Strike Funny and Not-so-Funny Reactions [Latest Updates]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 6, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Over three million commuters were caught in chaos on Wednesday, when the London Underground workers began the first in a series of strikes.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron branded the strike as "shameful." However, despite the chaos, several Londoners kept up their spirits high and took to Twitter to give out some of the funniest reactions on the Tube strike.
The Reuters reported that the London Underground rail drivers plan to stay out on strike for two days this week and another two next week, in a row over job cuts and modernisation.
PM Cameron, on his official Twitter account, lambasted the unions and labelled their action as "shameful" and "bringing misery to millions of Londoners."
Speaking in parliament later, he added: "I unreservedly condemn this strike. There is absolutely no justification for a strike. We need a modernised Tube line working for the millions of Londoners who use it every day."
The police were kept on high alert outside the stations, as a few incidents of minor scuffle were reported. While the harried commuters scurried around looking for other modes of transport to get to work, a few kept the spirits up.
The London Tube strike also saw some light-hearted moments, when many took to Twitter.
Some of the funny twitter post were:
— Tom Phillips (@flashboy) February 5, 2014
Londoners, don't forget, other methods of transport are available. #tubestrike pic.twitter.com/vfDgn8CfvM — keverrst (@keverrst) February 5, 2014
— The Poke (@ThePoke) February 5, 2014
Some guy's trying to overcome #tubestrike by driving into Brixton station pic.twitter.com/LTwGCcc0AU — matt brawn (@mattbrawn) February 5, 2014
Some not-so-funny twitter posts:
— Lucy Tobin (@lucytobin) February 5, 2014
The 48 hour tube strike is causing a lot of havoc! But this is a little bit rude no? http://t.co/HxFnYyBKJK pic.twitter.com/TJXIUeUr2l — Rinse FM (@RinseFM) February 5, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists