London Tube Strike Funny and Not-so-Funny Reactions [Latest Updates]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 6, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Over three million commuters were caught in chaos on Wednesday, when the London Underground workers began the first in a series of strikes.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron branded the strike as "shameful." However, despite the chaos, several Londoners kept up their spirits high and took to Twitter to give out some of the funniest reactions on the Tube strike.
The Reuters reported that the London Underground rail drivers plan to stay out on strike for two days this week and another two next week, in a row over job cuts and modernisation.
PM Cameron, on his official Twitter account, lambasted the unions and labelled their action as "shameful" and "bringing misery to millions of Londoners."
Speaking in parliament later, he added: "I unreservedly condemn this strike. There is absolutely no justification for a strike. We need a modernised Tube line working for the millions of Londoners who use it every day."
The police were kept on high alert outside the stations, as a few incidents of minor scuffle were reported. While the harried commuters scurried around looking for other modes of transport to get to work, a few kept the spirits up.
The London Tube strike also saw some light-hearted moments, when many took to Twitter.
Some of the funny twitter post were:
— Tom Phillips (@flashboy) February 5, 2014
Londoners, don't forget, other methods of transport are available. #tubestrike pic.twitter.com/vfDgn8CfvM — keverrst (@keverrst) February 5, 2014
— The Poke (@ThePoke) February 5, 2014
Some guy's trying to overcome #tubestrike by driving into Brixton station pic.twitter.com/LTwGCcc0AU — matt brawn (@mattbrawn) February 5, 2014
Some not-so-funny twitter posts:
— Lucy Tobin (@lucytobin) February 5, 2014
The 48 hour tube strike is causing a lot of havoc! But this is a little bit rude no? http://t.co/HxFnYyBKJK pic.twitter.com/TJXIUeUr2l — Rinse FM (@RinseFM) February 5, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air