London Tube Strike Funny and Not-so-Funny Reactions [Latest Updates]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 6, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Over three million commuters were caught in chaos on Wednesday, when the London Underground workers began the first in a series of strikes.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron branded the strike as "shameful." However, despite the chaos, several Londoners kept up their spirits high and took to Twitter to give out some of the funniest reactions on the Tube strike.
The Reuters reported that the London Underground rail drivers plan to stay out on strike for two days this week and another two next week, in a row over job cuts and modernisation.
PM Cameron, on his official Twitter account, lambasted the unions and labelled their action as "shameful" and "bringing misery to millions of Londoners."
Speaking in parliament later, he added: "I unreservedly condemn this strike. There is absolutely no justification for a strike. We need a modernised Tube line working for the millions of Londoners who use it every day."
The police were kept on high alert outside the stations, as a few incidents of minor scuffle were reported. While the harried commuters scurried around looking for other modes of transport to get to work, a few kept the spirits up.
The London Tube strike also saw some light-hearted moments, when many took to Twitter.
Some of the funny twitter post were:
— Tom Phillips (@flashboy) February 5, 2014
Londoners, don't forget, other methods of transport are available. #tubestrike pic.twitter.com/vfDgn8CfvM — keverrst (@keverrst) February 5, 2014
— The Poke (@ThePoke) February 5, 2014
Some guy's trying to overcome #tubestrike by driving into Brixton station pic.twitter.com/LTwGCcc0AU — matt brawn (@mattbrawn) February 5, 2014
Some not-so-funny twitter posts:
— Lucy Tobin (@lucytobin) February 5, 2014
The 48 hour tube strike is causing a lot of havoc! But this is a little bit rude no? http://t.co/HxFnYyBKJK pic.twitter.com/TJXIUeUr2l — Rinse FM (@RinseFM) February 5, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’