Super Bowl Rigged Rumors Fake and Fictional; NFL Officials Did Not Make Game-Fixing Allegations
By Raymond Ronamai | February 5, 2014 11:53 PM EST
The National Football League (NFL) Super Bowl XLVIII ended last weekend with the Seattle Seahawks defeating Denver Broncos 43-8 at the MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford. The defeat of the favorites has sparked off rumours that the game was rigged though they do not hold water.
Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning leaves the field after being defeated by the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL Super Bowl XLVIII football game in East Rutherford
Speculations of the game being rigged started after satire website Huzlers published a fictional news that the Broncos lost the champhionship, in exchange for a huge amount of money.
According to a report by the website, "NFL officials have just discovered that the game was most likely rigged. NFL officials have just found clues that might prove the game was rigged. Officials believe the Broncos intentionally lost the championship in exchange for a large amount of money."
"Super Bowl referee Terry McAulay told reporters he sensed something strange when he overhead Broncos Quarterback Peyton Manning allegedly asking Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll 'When are you going to pay up?" the report added. It also stated that McAulay reported the matter to NFL officials, who are "currently investigating the situation and looking for evidence to prove the game was rigged."
"This is like that Chicago White Sox scandal back in 1919, I can't believe this, they ruined the sport, I just can't believe it", NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reportedly told the media, according to the site.
Despite Huzlers being a satire website, the news spread on the internet and many believed there was truth in these reports. Several websites carried the rigging news, in spite of Huzlers having a disclaimer that says it is a "combination of real shocking news and satire news to keep its visitors in a state of disbelief."
However, the news of a possible game-fixing does not hold water, as the NFL officials have not even made any rigging alegations, let alone investigating on the matter.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup