Super Bowl Rigged Rumors Fake and Fictional; NFL Officials Did Not Make Game-Fixing Allegations
By Raymond Ronamai | February 5, 2014 11:53 PM EST
The National Football League (NFL) Super Bowl XLVIII ended last weekend with the Seattle Seahawks defeating Denver Broncos 43-8 at the MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford. The defeat of the favorites has sparked off rumours that the game was rigged though they do not hold water.
Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning leaves the field after being defeated by the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL Super Bowl XLVIII football game in East Rutherford
Speculations of the game being rigged started after satire website Huzlers published a fictional news that the Broncos lost the champhionship, in exchange for a huge amount of money.
According to a report by the website, "NFL officials have just discovered that the game was most likely rigged. NFL officials have just found clues that might prove the game was rigged. Officials believe the Broncos intentionally lost the championship in exchange for a large amount of money."
"Super Bowl referee Terry McAulay told reporters he sensed something strange when he overhead Broncos Quarterback Peyton Manning allegedly asking Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll 'When are you going to pay up?" the report added. It also stated that McAulay reported the matter to NFL officials, who are "currently investigating the situation and looking for evidence to prove the game was rigged."
"This is like that Chicago White Sox scandal back in 1919, I can't believe this, they ruined the sport, I just can't believe it", NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reportedly told the media, according to the site.
Despite Huzlers being a satire website, the news spread on the internet and many believed there was truth in these reports. Several websites carried the rigging news, in spite of Huzlers having a disclaimer that says it is a "combination of real shocking news and satire news to keep its visitors in a state of disbelief."
However, the news of a possible game-fixing does not hold water, as the NFL officials have not even made any rigging alegations, let alone investigating on the matter.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Top 5 NBA Teams With The Highest Payroll In The 2014-2015 Season
- Manchester United: Van Gaal Warns Stars That He Will Willingly Bench Them
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move