Stephen King Apologizes for Calling Dylan Farrow's Abuse Allegations 'Palpable Bitchery'
By Johnlee Varghese | February 5, 2014 9:12 PM EST
American writer Stephen King created quite a controversy on Tuesday, when he wrote a twitter post in support of Woody Allen, who has been accused of physical abuse by his adoptive daughter Dylan Farrow. Farrow in an open leter had claimed that Allen sexually abused her at the age of seven.
King widely known for his contemporary horror, suspense, science fiction and fantasy writings in his twitter post stated: "Boy, I'm stumped on that one. I don't like to think it's true, and there's an element of palpable bitchery there, but..."
Stephen's comment kicked up a storm, following which the writer, who has sold 350 million copies of his books, received severe critism from the online audience.
Reaction from a Twitter user:
— Jennifer L. Pozner (@jennpozner) February 4, 2014
The writer's post also gave rise to hastag #palpabledouchery. King who joined the micro blogging site about two weeks back later tweeted:
Still learning my way around this thing. Mercy, please. — Stephen King (@StephenKing) February 4, 2014
Have no opinion on the accusations; hope they're not true. Probably used the wrong word.
— Stephen King (@StephenKing) February 4, 2014
He later deleted the tweet about Farrow.
He also posted an apology on his Facebook page:
Those of you who follow Twitter will know that recently I managed to put my foot in my mouth and halfway down my throat. A good many people came away from my tweet about the Woody Allen controversy with the idea that I had called Dylan Farrow or Mia Farrow (or both) a bitch. That wasn’t my intention, but the conclusion on the part of some readers is understandable. I used the wrong word to describe not Ms. Farrow—either Ms. Farrow—but a sad and painful mess. Some people seem to believe that writers never use the wrong word, but any editor can tell you that’s not true.
Those of you who have read my work—Carrie, Dolores Claiborne, Rose Madder, and Lisey’s Story, to name four—will know that I have plenty of respect for women, and care about the problems and life-situations they face. My single-mom mother faced plenty, believe me. And I have no sympathy whatever for those who abuse children. I wrote about such abuse—and its ultimate cost to the victim—in Gerald’s Game.
The maximum number of letters in a Tweet is 140. I think the following would fit: I apologize for screwing up.
Just know my heart is where it’s always been: in the right place.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists