Bharat Ratna: Sachin Tendulkar vs Dhyan Chand Dispute Escalates in Social Media; Critics Say Political Conspiracy
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 5, 2014 8:25 PM EST
Even as fans and followers of 'Master Blaster' Sachin Tendulkar continue to express their excitement at the news of the cricketer receiving the country's highest civilian award - Bharat Ratna - on Tuesday, the age-old debate of whether hockey legend Dhyan Chand deserved to get the honour first has resurfaced in the media and social networking platforms with a renewed fury.
Wiki Commons, Reuters
Bewildered public have taken to the social media and the micro-blogging site to express their views (Wiki Commons, Reuters)
A group of hockey players, as well as fans, held a protest rally in the capital on Wednesday, demanding the award to be conferred to the late Chand, who is widely considered as one of the greatest hockey players of all-time.
Chand (1905-1979) was known as The Wizard for his superb ball control and skills. He has scored more than 400 goals in his international career and is a three-time Olympic gold medalist.
Bewildered public have taken to the social media and the micro-blogging sites to express their views. Many agree that though Tendulkar deserves the Bharat Ratna, Chand should have been bestowed with the award first.
Mainstream media have also been pondering over the issue, with some outlets sending across a confused babble on whether to be happy for Tendulkar or be sad for Chand. Zee News, which is considered as a premium Hindi news channel, held an hour-long talk show discussing the issue, while pointing out that the decision to give the award to the cricketer could have been politically motivated.
An RTI inquiry into the matter revealed that the process of conferring the country's highest civilian award to the batting maestro was initiated on the first day of his last cricket Test (200th) on 14 November 2013. And the announcement was made two days later.
It has also been claimed that the union home ministry had opposed sports minister Ajay Maken's plea to confer Bharat Ratna to the cricketer. In September 2011, Maken had requested the government to consider sportspersons for Bharat Ratna awards. But the home ministry had rejected the suggestion saying: "Inclusion of sports as a field for Bharat Ratna may raise the issue to include other fields such as trade and industry and social work in the award category of Bharat Ratna."
The ministry had also said that while "Tendulkar deserves the highest honour... there are several other sports person who have made our country proud" including Chand. But the confused public now want to know despite such mixed reactions, why did the government give a go-ahead to Tendulkar's award.
In an interview with Mid-Day, Chand's son Ashok Kumar said that the application to the sports ministry to consider his father's candidature for the honour had been approved long before Tendulkar was even discussed as a candidate.
"There have been dharnas, morchas and even a hunger strike recently to urge the government to consider Babuji for the Bharat Ratna, but it has evoked no response from the authorities. I wonder what else my family, friends and well-wishers of hockey will have to go through next if we are to push further for the award," Kumar told the newspaper.
An open letter has also been written to the Prime Minister, seeking clarification on this matter.
Following are some of the Twitter reactions on the issue:
I strongly feel Major Dhyan Chand deserves a Bharat Ratna much more than Sachin.
— Jigyasa (@Jigyasa_Garg) February 5, 2014
@mid_day Yes but it is unfortunate that a Cricketer got the award ahead of this Greatest Hockey Player India ever produced. Not good. — Sajish Thomas (@SajishThomas) February 5, 2014
— Pranav Chavan (@HeLL_Org) February 5, 2014
How come prior recommendation of 82 MPs for Dhyan Chand ignored and just in 24 hours Sachin's name cleared in 24 hours? #Shame 2/n — Srinivasan Anand (@sri9011) February 5, 2014
INDIA SHAMED BHART RATNA BY NEGLECTING MAJOR DHYAN CHAND WORLD WIZARD OF HOCKEY AND SUCCUMB TO LOBBIEST & POLITICS ACCOMODATIONG CRICKETER.
— SHRI KRISHAN GUPTA (@SKG1950) February 5, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air