What’s Common between Gwyneth Paltrow and Kim Jong-un?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 5, 2014 8:08 PM EST
There is a common thread between Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow and North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, and Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter believes it’s their ability to demand something and see that it is executed.
In his Editor’s Letter from the March 2014 issue, Graydon sheds more light into what has now come to be known as the “epic takedown” of the “Iron Man” actress.
Last year, Graydon assigned contributing editor Vanessa Grigoriadis to write a piece on the actress, after noting that many people have a passionate opinion about the actress
'What began so innocently quickly took a turn,” Graydon wrote, according to The Daily Mail. “Once the story was assigned, the writer reached out to Paltrow’s representatives and friends, and Paltrow sent the now-infamous email to her show-business pals.
“She asked that they not speak to Vanity Fair about her, or about anything else ever again. Ever. Never.
“Kim Jong-un couldn’t have issued a more blanket demand,” he added.
When the feud first came to light, it was rumored that Vanity Fair was planning an expose about an affair Paltrow had, and about the state of her marriage to “Coldplay” singer Chris Martin.
In the meantime, Grigoriadis turned in her story in October 2012, and it is a “reasoned, reported essay on the hate/love-fest that encircles Gwyneth Paltrow,” as opposed to a piece filled with “bombshell” revelations.
On why the article is yet to be published, Graydon said that he decided to sit on it till the whole Paltrow brouhaha ends.
He wrote: “The fact is the Gwyneth Paltrow story, the one we ordered up, as delightfully written as it was, is not the one the anti-Gwynethites expect. That it has generated more mail and attention than many of the biggest stories we've ever published only makes the situation more complicated . . .”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal