What’s Common between Gwyneth Paltrow and Kim Jong-un?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 5, 2014 8:08 PM EST
There is a common thread between Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow and North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, and Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter believes it’s their ability to demand something and see that it is executed.
In his Editor’s Letter from the March 2014 issue, Graydon sheds more light into what has now come to be known as the “epic takedown” of the “Iron Man” actress.
Last year, Graydon assigned contributing editor Vanessa Grigoriadis to write a piece on the actress, after noting that many people have a passionate opinion about the actress
'What began so innocently quickly took a turn,” Graydon wrote, according to The Daily Mail. “Once the story was assigned, the writer reached out to Paltrow’s representatives and friends, and Paltrow sent the now-infamous email to her show-business pals.
“She asked that they not speak to Vanity Fair about her, or about anything else ever again. Ever. Never.
“Kim Jong-un couldn’t have issued a more blanket demand,” he added.
When the feud first came to light, it was rumored that Vanity Fair was planning an expose about an affair Paltrow had, and about the state of her marriage to “Coldplay” singer Chris Martin.
In the meantime, Grigoriadis turned in her story in October 2012, and it is a “reasoned, reported essay on the hate/love-fest that encircles Gwyneth Paltrow,” as opposed to a piece filled with “bombshell” revelations.
On why the article is yet to be published, Graydon said that he decided to sit on it till the whole Paltrow brouhaha ends.
He wrote: “The fact is the Gwyneth Paltrow story, the one we ordered up, as delightfully written as it was, is not the one the anti-Gwynethites expect. That it has generated more mail and attention than many of the biggest stories we've ever published only makes the situation more complicated . . .”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown