What’s Common between Gwyneth Paltrow and Kim Jong-un?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 5, 2014 8:08 PM EST
There is a common thread between Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow and North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, and Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter believes it’s their ability to demand something and see that it is executed.
In his Editor’s Letter from the March 2014 issue, Graydon sheds more light into what has now come to be known as the “epic takedown” of the “Iron Man” actress.
Last year, Graydon assigned contributing editor Vanessa Grigoriadis to write a piece on the actress, after noting that many people have a passionate opinion about the actress
'What began so innocently quickly took a turn,” Graydon wrote, according to The Daily Mail. “Once the story was assigned, the writer reached out to Paltrow’s representatives and friends, and Paltrow sent the now-infamous email to her show-business pals.
“She asked that they not speak to Vanity Fair about her, or about anything else ever again. Ever. Never.
“Kim Jong-un couldn’t have issued a more blanket demand,” he added.
When the feud first came to light, it was rumored that Vanity Fair was planning an expose about an affair Paltrow had, and about the state of her marriage to “Coldplay” singer Chris Martin.
In the meantime, Grigoriadis turned in her story in October 2012, and it is a “reasoned, reported essay on the hate/love-fest that encircles Gwyneth Paltrow,” as opposed to a piece filled with “bombshell” revelations.
On why the article is yet to be published, Graydon said that he decided to sit on it till the whole Paltrow brouhaha ends.
He wrote: “The fact is the Gwyneth Paltrow story, the one we ordered up, as delightfully written as it was, is not the one the anti-Gwynethites expect. That it has generated more mail and attention than many of the biggest stories we've ever published only makes the situation more complicated . . .”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family