What’s Common between Gwyneth Paltrow and Kim Jong-un?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 5, 2014 8:08 PM EST
There is a common thread between Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow and North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, and Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter believes it’s their ability to demand something and see that it is executed.
In his Editor’s Letter from the March 2014 issue, Graydon sheds more light into what has now come to be known as the “epic takedown” of the “Iron Man” actress.
Last year, Graydon assigned contributing editor Vanessa Grigoriadis to write a piece on the actress, after noting that many people have a passionate opinion about the actress
'What began so innocently quickly took a turn,” Graydon wrote, according to The Daily Mail. “Once the story was assigned, the writer reached out to Paltrow’s representatives and friends, and Paltrow sent the now-infamous email to her show-business pals.
“She asked that they not speak to Vanity Fair about her, or about anything else ever again. Ever. Never.
“Kim Jong-un couldn’t have issued a more blanket demand,” he added.
When the feud first came to light, it was rumored that Vanity Fair was planning an expose about an affair Paltrow had, and about the state of her marriage to “Coldplay” singer Chris Martin.
In the meantime, Grigoriadis turned in her story in October 2012, and it is a “reasoned, reported essay on the hate/love-fest that encircles Gwyneth Paltrow,” as opposed to a piece filled with “bombshell” revelations.
On why the article is yet to be published, Graydon said that he decided to sit on it till the whole Paltrow brouhaha ends.
He wrote: “The fact is the Gwyneth Paltrow story, the one we ordered up, as delightfully written as it was, is not the one the anti-Gwynethites expect. That it has generated more mail and attention than many of the biggest stories we've ever published only makes the situation more complicated . . .”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast