What’s Common between Gwyneth Paltrow and Kim Jong-un?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 5, 2014 8:08 PM EST
There is a common thread between Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow and North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, and Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter believes it’s their ability to demand something and see that it is executed.
In his Editor’s Letter from the March 2014 issue, Graydon sheds more light into what has now come to be known as the “epic takedown” of the “Iron Man” actress.
Last year, Graydon assigned contributing editor Vanessa Grigoriadis to write a piece on the actress, after noting that many people have a passionate opinion about the actress
'What began so innocently quickly took a turn,” Graydon wrote, according to The Daily Mail. “Once the story was assigned, the writer reached out to Paltrow’s representatives and friends, and Paltrow sent the now-infamous email to her show-business pals.
“She asked that they not speak to Vanity Fair about her, or about anything else ever again. Ever. Never.
“Kim Jong-un couldn’t have issued a more blanket demand,” he added.
When the feud first came to light, it was rumored that Vanity Fair was planning an expose about an affair Paltrow had, and about the state of her marriage to “Coldplay” singer Chris Martin.
In the meantime, Grigoriadis turned in her story in October 2012, and it is a “reasoned, reported essay on the hate/love-fest that encircles Gwyneth Paltrow,” as opposed to a piece filled with “bombshell” revelations.
On why the article is yet to be published, Graydon said that he decided to sit on it till the whole Paltrow brouhaha ends.
He wrote: “The fact is the Gwyneth Paltrow story, the one we ordered up, as delightfully written as it was, is not the one the anti-Gwynethites expect. That it has generated more mail and attention than many of the biggest stories we've ever published only makes the situation more complicated . . .”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6