‘Sherlock’: A Different Sherlock; Watson, Sherlock Gay Bar Scene; Is Moriarty Still Alive?
By Anshu Shrivastava | February 5, 2014 6:33 PM EST
The much-loved fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes, of "Sherlock" Season 3 was kind of a different person. He showed more emotions than he had shown in the two previous seasons. As usual, he stopped criminals from succeeding in their evil plans and brought them down. And, along with that, Sherlock made people shed some tears because they found his words heart-felt and touching. It is almost unthinkable to visualise Sherlock of Season 1 and Season 2 to present such an image.
In the recently concluded "Sherlock" Season 3, the lissome detective was thrown in an unfamiliar domestic territory. It unsettled him initially, but he soon accepted the new scenario and emerged triumphant. Sherlock returned to London from his dead exile to find Watson in a serious relationship, with Mary Morstan. If the relationship was not enough, Sherlock was asked to give a best-man's speech at Watson and Mary's wedding. After agonising over the prospect of giving the best-man speech, Sherlock did turn-up at the wedding to give a best-man like performance.
The quirky man delivered a speech that made some shake their heads in the beginning but, when the speech ended, there were not many dry eyes in the wedding hall. Perhaps, the best gift he gave to the married couple was his vow to be there for them, always. He did keep his vow in "His Last Vow" when he shot down the evil man, Charles Augustus Magnussen, to inter his mind palace that could have destroyed Watsons' domestic bliss.
Sherlock put an end to the powerful, most despicable, blackmailer's life. Importantly, he displayed his unwavering, deep love for Watson, Sherlock's only weakness. The Season 3 of Sherlock was less about Sherlock the detective, but more about Sherlock the man and his obvious evolution. Perhaps, this is one of the reasons why viewers found Season 3 different from the previous two seasons, and felt disconnected. This time Sherlock was different, as he bared himself, showing his emotions quite a number of times.
It is up for argument if the much awaited Season 3 of "Sherlock" lived up to the expectation, or not, but one cannot complain about memorable moments in this season. One such memorable moment was Watson's stag. According to Martin Freeman, a scene of Watson and Sherlock in a gay bar was edited out from the collage of stag scenes, which showed the duo at their best drunkard behaviour.
Freeman said to Radio Times that "doing the drunk stuff was lovely. But I regret there was one bit of that drunk stuff that was missing. There was the gay club scene. We were absolutely mullered in the gay club - lots of topless men going past, and us just going 'Why are we here'?"
Benedict Cumbetbatch added that Sherlock had no clue why the men were not wearing clothes. "And then it dawned and my [Sherlock] grounding shook..."
In "His Last Vow," Prof Moriarty made a come-back on T.V screens across UK, asking "Did you miss me?" There is much speculation if Moriarty is alive and whether he will come back in Season 4, just like Sherlock came back alive, with a simple explanation of how he cheated death and fooled everyone.
Steven Moffat, co-creator of "Sherlock," has revealed that it was not a last minute plan to bring back Moriarty. They had written Moriarty's story-line much before the Season 2. Moffat said to Vulture: "I can't really say what we're doing with that [Moriarty's return], but there is no last-minute whim in this. We've had what we're going to do with Moriarty in place from before the second season. Exactly what we're going to do."
Moffat did not reveal much about what he intends to do with Moriarty in the new season. He said, "Wait and see what's going to happen."
BBC has yet to officially confirm that it has renewed "Sherlock" for Season 4 and Season 5. However, Cumberbatch, Freeman, Moffat and Mark Gattis have 'unofficially' confirmed that fans can look forward to see "Sherlock" for two more seasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues