‘Sherlock’: A Different Sherlock; Watson, Sherlock Gay Bar Scene; Is Moriarty Still Alive?
By Anshu Shrivastava | February 5, 2014 6:33 PM EST
The much-loved fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes, of "Sherlock" Season 3 was kind of a different person. He showed more emotions than he had shown in the two previous seasons. As usual, he stopped criminals from succeeding in their evil plans and brought them down. And, along with that, Sherlock made people shed some tears because they found his words heart-felt and touching. It is almost unthinkable to visualise Sherlock of Season 1 and Season 2 to present such an image.
In the recently concluded "Sherlock" Season 3, the lissome detective was thrown in an unfamiliar domestic territory. It unsettled him initially, but he soon accepted the new scenario and emerged triumphant. Sherlock returned to London from his dead exile to find Watson in a serious relationship, with Mary Morstan. If the relationship was not enough, Sherlock was asked to give a best-man's speech at Watson and Mary's wedding. After agonising over the prospect of giving the best-man speech, Sherlock did turn-up at the wedding to give a best-man like performance.
The quirky man delivered a speech that made some shake their heads in the beginning but, when the speech ended, there were not many dry eyes in the wedding hall. Perhaps, the best gift he gave to the married couple was his vow to be there for them, always. He did keep his vow in "His Last Vow" when he shot down the evil man, Charles Augustus Magnussen, to inter his mind palace that could have destroyed Watsons' domestic bliss.
Sherlock put an end to the powerful, most despicable, blackmailer's life. Importantly, he displayed his unwavering, deep love for Watson, Sherlock's only weakness. The Season 3 of Sherlock was less about Sherlock the detective, but more about Sherlock the man and his obvious evolution. Perhaps, this is one of the reasons why viewers found Season 3 different from the previous two seasons, and felt disconnected. This time Sherlock was different, as he bared himself, showing his emotions quite a number of times.
It is up for argument if the much awaited Season 3 of "Sherlock" lived up to the expectation, or not, but one cannot complain about memorable moments in this season. One such memorable moment was Watson's stag. According to Martin Freeman, a scene of Watson and Sherlock in a gay bar was edited out from the collage of stag scenes, which showed the duo at their best drunkard behaviour.
Freeman said to Radio Times that "doing the drunk stuff was lovely. But I regret there was one bit of that drunk stuff that was missing. There was the gay club scene. We were absolutely mullered in the gay club - lots of topless men going past, and us just going 'Why are we here'?"
Benedict Cumbetbatch added that Sherlock had no clue why the men were not wearing clothes. "And then it dawned and my [Sherlock] grounding shook..."
In "His Last Vow," Prof Moriarty made a come-back on T.V screens across UK, asking "Did you miss me?" There is much speculation if Moriarty is alive and whether he will come back in Season 4, just like Sherlock came back alive, with a simple explanation of how he cheated death and fooled everyone.
Steven Moffat, co-creator of "Sherlock," has revealed that it was not a last minute plan to bring back Moriarty. They had written Moriarty's story-line much before the Season 2. Moffat said to Vulture: "I can't really say what we're doing with that [Moriarty's return], but there is no last-minute whim in this. We've had what we're going to do with Moriarty in place from before the second season. Exactly what we're going to do."
Moffat did not reveal much about what he intends to do with Moriarty in the new season. He said, "Wait and see what's going to happen."
BBC has yet to officially confirm that it has renewed "Sherlock" for Season 4 and Season 5. However, Cumberbatch, Freeman, Moffat and Mark Gattis have 'unofficially' confirmed that fans can look forward to see "Sherlock" for two more seasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports