Arsenal FC News: Gunners Centre-back Reveals Secret of Impressive Defending Partnership
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 5, 2014 5:30 PM EST
Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker has formed an impressive partnership with fellow centre-back Laurent Koscielny, able to prevent the Gunners from losing a game since January 22, 2012.
We both take advantages from each other so that is the main key [to our success] I think." - Per Mertesacker
The two have provided a fortress-like defence for the north London outfit, winning 22 of their recent 31 matches in the process, while conceding just a single goal in the previous 11 games.
"It [the statistic] sounds not real for me," Mertesacker told arsenal.com.
"When I first heard it, it sounded very weird."
However, the "German Pole" believes that these incredible numbers might all be put in vain if they don't win anything this season.
"It's a good statistic but we have to build on that," he added.
The 6'6" 29-year-old revealed that more than any similarities, if any, the distinctness between him and Koscielny is the main ingredient of their success.
"In this case I would say we have different qualities," he disclosed.
"One is more mobile, one has more height. It fits absolutely well together because [these] days the centre backs are not just tall and just have to [deal with] long balls and to head these balls."
"He's one of the quickest players I've ever played with, one of the most mobile players."
"We both take advantages from each other so that is the main key [to our success] I think."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)