Arsenal FC News: Gunners Centre-back Reveals Secret of Impressive Defending Partnership
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 5, 2014 5:30 PM EST
Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker has formed an impressive partnership with fellow centre-back Laurent Koscielny, able to prevent the Gunners from losing a game since January 22, 2012.
We both take advantages from each other so that is the main key [to our success] I think." - Per Mertesacker
The two have provided a fortress-like defence for the north London outfit, winning 22 of their recent 31 matches in the process, while conceding just a single goal in the previous 11 games.
"It [the statistic] sounds not real for me," Mertesacker told arsenal.com.
"When I first heard it, it sounded very weird."
However, the "German Pole" believes that these incredible numbers might all be put in vain if they don't win anything this season.
"It's a good statistic but we have to build on that," he added.
The 6'6" 29-year-old revealed that more than any similarities, if any, the distinctness between him and Koscielny is the main ingredient of their success.
"In this case I would say we have different qualities," he disclosed.
"One is more mobile, one has more height. It fits absolutely well together because [these] days the centre backs are not just tall and just have to [deal with] long balls and to head these balls."
"He's one of the quickest players I've ever played with, one of the most mobile players."
"We both take advantages from each other so that is the main key [to our success] I think."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Signs Using Odom’s Surname; Source Reveals Khloe Still ‘Proud’ Of Being Called Mrs. Odom