iOS 7.1 Beta Version Fixes Additional Jailbreak Exploits, Jailbreak Unlikely
By Karla Danica Figuerres | February 5, 2014 4:21 PM EST
The fifth beta version of the iOS 7.1 was released today with a number of performance improvements and a couple of bug fixes but it is not all roses especially for users of jailbroken devices.
A woman looks at the screen of her mobile phone in front of an Apple logo outside its store in downtown Shanghai September 10, 2013.REUTERS/Aly Song
Today's iOS 7.1 beta 5 has patched additional exploits used for the Evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak just after the primary kernel exploit was patched in iOS 7.1 beta 4. With this recent release, iOS 7.1 jailbreak looks less likely because the main exploits for the jailbreak have been patched, according to iJailbreakEvasion. Basically, users of jailbroken devices will not be able to upgrade to the iOS 7.1.
The evasi0n7 UnTethered 7.0.4 jailbreak has officially partially patched by Apple's previous beta release, which will render the utility useless upon the release of the iOS 7.1 to the masses very soon.
The Web site iJailbreakEvasion recommends that users who want to keep their devices jailbroken to steer clear from the latest iOS 7.1 beta and the finalised version of the OS "at all costs."
The Evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak was first released back in December last year and it continues to work with iOS devices that are running on iOS up to iOS 7.0.5 versions. Undoubtedly, this newest beta version of the iOS 7.1 continues to bring bad news for jailbreaking fans. The iOS 7.1 beta patches other evasi0n exploits - the "chown" vulnerability and "afc sandbox escape" utilised by the jailbreak utility, according to iH8sn0w via Twitter.
Meanwhile, although the Evasi0n 7 exploit has been patched on the iOS 7.1 4 beta, it appears that Apple has made progress with another patch but this does not cover everything just yet.
Thus far, it appears that Apple will push this patch up with the final release of the iOS 7.1 however; it is not a guarantee that there will be another iOS 7.1 jailbreak coming after this.
At this point, what is certain is that Evad3rs dev team needs to work extra hard on another exploit to be able to get past the one that has been blocked by Apple.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build