Anne Frank's Marbles to Be Displayed for First Time in Rotterdam
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 5, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Anne Frank handed over some of the toys she played with to her friend Toosje Kupers before her family headed to their hiding placw. The items which her friend was supposed to keep safe included a book, a tea set and box of marbles. Ms Frank played with Ms Kupers in the Amsterdam neighbourhood. After about 70 years now, the colourful marbles of Ms Frank will be put on display for the very first time.
Ms Frank, along with her family, spent 25 months of their life in cramped rooms to save themselves from the Nazis who were bloodthirsty for Jewish execution during the World War II days. The world came to know about the story of the family after Ms Frank's diary had been discovered. "Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl" which has become iconic is read by millions of people ever since. The exhibition of Ms Frank's marbles in Rotterdam will be the first time the world will see what the little girl played with during her days of terror.
The marbles were kept in a box. Ms Kupers kept it safe and waited for Ms Frank to return so that she could give it back to her. However, Ms Frank never returned. She later handed over the box of marbles to Ms Frank's father, the only member from the family who survived the Holocaust. Otto Frank asked Ms Kupers to keep Ms Frank's belongings to herself.
Ms Kupers discovered the items only when she started moving about a year back. CNN reported that she had discovered in the attic. The museum authorities were "thrilled" to know that Ms Frank's marbles survived the torture of time. Ms Kupers decided to hand all the belongings to the Anne Frank House.
The book and the tea set have already been displayed. Ms Frank got the book as a gift on her 13th birthday. However, this is the first time the authorities have decided to put the marbles on display as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Lightning Strikes Twice: Australian Woman Had Daughter in MH17 & Brother in MH370
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People