Anne Frank's Marbles to Be Displayed for First Time in Rotterdam
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 5, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Anne Frank handed over some of the toys she played with to her friend Toosje Kupers before her family headed to their hiding placw. The items which her friend was supposed to keep safe included a book, a tea set and box of marbles. Ms Frank played with Ms Kupers in the Amsterdam neighbourhood. After about 70 years now, the colourful marbles of Ms Frank will be put on display for the very first time.
Ms Frank, along with her family, spent 25 months of their life in cramped rooms to save themselves from the Nazis who were bloodthirsty for Jewish execution during the World War II days. The world came to know about the story of the family after Ms Frank's diary had been discovered. "Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl" which has become iconic is read by millions of people ever since. The exhibition of Ms Frank's marbles in Rotterdam will be the first time the world will see what the little girl played with during her days of terror.
The marbles were kept in a box. Ms Kupers kept it safe and waited for Ms Frank to return so that she could give it back to her. However, Ms Frank never returned. She later handed over the box of marbles to Ms Frank's father, the only member from the family who survived the Holocaust. Otto Frank asked Ms Kupers to keep Ms Frank's belongings to herself.
Ms Kupers discovered the items only when she started moving about a year back. CNN reported that she had discovered in the attic. The museum authorities were "thrilled" to know that Ms Frank's marbles survived the torture of time. Ms Kupers decided to hand all the belongings to the Anne Frank House.
The book and the tea set have already been displayed. Ms Frank got the book as a gift on her 13th birthday. However, this is the first time the authorities have decided to put the marbles on display as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’