Virgin Atlantic Withdraws from Australia, Jobs Lost
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 5, 2014 3:53 PM EST
Effective May 5, 2014, Virgin Atlantic will no longer be servicing the Sydney-Hong Kong daily service routes as part of cost-cutting plans to keep the company afloat.
Although still unconfirmed, about half of the cabin crew based in Hong Kong would be laid off, according to the South China Morning Post. There are about 50 in Sydney.
"Despite the best efforts of our employees, external factors such as increasing costs and a weakening Australian dollar have affected our profitability," Craig Kreeger, Virgin Atlantic CEO, said in a statement.
"These are still difficult times for the airline industry and as part of our strategy to operate more efficiently, we need to deploy our aircraft to routes with the right level of demand to be financially viable."
Luke Fisher, Virgin Atlantic's local general manager, was disappointed at the same time shocked of the announcement.
"It's fair to say it's been a bolt from the blue," Mr Fisher told Travel Today. "When the meeting was called quite a few were thinking we were going to be speaking about something else. I think people in my team were mostly shocked."
Virgin Atlantic, which first flew off Australia 10 years ago, advised passengers who booked to fly after May 5 to contact the airline or their agents.
"We'll discuss all options and will consider a full refund or rebooking passengers on another carrier."
The company's departure from its Australian routes now makes British Airways as the last major European airline still servicing and flying to Australia.
Virgin Atlantic began flying to Sydney in December 2004.
The company will continue flying between Hong Kong and London's Heathrow Airport.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]