Sony in Talks to Sell Loss-making Vaio PC business - Source
February 5, 2014 2:50 PM EST
Sony announced the VAIO E Series 14p on 10 April.
A new company would be set up by Japan Industrial Partners to take over the Vaio brand's operations in Japan, according to the plan under consideration, the source said. Financial details and stakeholdings in the new entity were still being discussed.
Sony is also considering a withdrawal from overseas PC markets, the source added.
Sales of traditional PCs are slowing as smartphones and tablets gain popularity. Worldwide PC shipments are forecast to total 278 million units in 2014, down 7 percent from 2013, according to research firm Gartner.
Mobile phones are expected to dominate overall device shipments, with 1.9 billion mobile phones shipped in 2014, a 5 percent increase from 2013, Gartner said.
The Nikkei business daily reported that the Vaio PC unit would be sold for up to 50 billion yen and that Sony would retain only a small stake in the new company.
The sale of the PC business would lead to disposal losses that would push Sony into a net loss for the first time in two years for the year ending March 31, the Nikkei said. The Japanese consumer electronic firm is due to report quarterly results on Thursday.
Japanese broadcaster NHK reported on Saturday that Chinese technology company Lenovo Group (0992.HK) was in talks about a possible joint venture to take over Sony's loss-making PC business overseas.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown