Essar Shuts all Units at UK's Second-largest Refinery
February 5, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Essar(ESSR.L) has shut down all units at the UK's No. 2 refinery due to a steam supply issue on Tuesday and said it did not yet have an estimate for when the plant could resume operations.
What started as a family construction firm in the 1960s, Essar Group, based in Mumbai India, now is a behemoth of a company.
The problem at the 296,000 barrel-per-day (bpd) Stanlow refinery in northwestern England developed just before 2:00 p.m. local time (1400 GMT) on Tuesday, Essar spokesman Jonathan Miller said in a statement.
"We are now working to restore steam supply and effect a safe re-start," he said.
The Stanlow refinery supplies 15 percent of the UK's fuel needs, shipping it around the country by road and pipelines, Essar's website said. It has broadened its crude slate to increase its use of West and North African and Canadian crude alongside North Sea oil.
The plant underwent a substantial turnaround towards the end of last year, refurbishing a gasoline-making catalytic cracker for around $35 million.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage