Essar Shuts all Units at UK's Second-largest Refinery
February 5, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Essar(ESSR.L) has shut down all units at the UK's No. 2 refinery due to a steam supply issue on Tuesday and said it did not yet have an estimate for when the plant could resume operations.
What started as a family construction firm in the 1960s, Essar Group, based in Mumbai India, now is a behemoth of a company.
The problem at the 296,000 barrel-per-day (bpd) Stanlow refinery in northwestern England developed just before 2:00 p.m. local time (1400 GMT) on Tuesday, Essar spokesman Jonathan Miller said in a statement.
"We are now working to restore steam supply and effect a safe re-start," he said.
The Stanlow refinery supplies 15 percent of the UK's fuel needs, shipping it around the country by road and pipelines, Essar's website said. It has broadened its crude slate to increase its use of West and North African and Canadian crude alongside North Sea oil.
The plant underwent a substantial turnaround towards the end of last year, refurbishing a gasoline-making catalytic cracker for around $35 million.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS