Google Nexus 6 Release Date On May 17 Alongside LG G3?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 5, 2014 2:10 PM EST
Google Nexus 6 release date is set on May 17, according to a report.
Motoring Crunch cited an unnamed South Korean source claiming the successor of Nexus 5 will arrive on the expected date alongside LG G3.
Concept photo with Android 6.0 Milkshake surface
The report claimed LG will be bringing out its guns early to have a head-on battle with Samsung, its main rival. The latter is set to introduce Galaxy S5 at the same time to gain an advantage in the smartphone market.
Also, the report said LG's decision is brought by LG G2 did not sell quite well and the company wants to probably gain an upperhand by releasing its successor earlier than usual. The handset is supposed to impress the consumers through its high-end specs. The report added LG G3 will pack a 5-inch screen display with QHD 2560 x 1140 pixel resolution, an octa-core processor, and 16 MP camera with OIS technology.
If this rumor is true, LG should be working on the device by this time. But there are no signs that the company is releasing the device anytime soon.
The recent Motorola-Lenovo merger signaled that LG may no longer be working on the next Nexus smartphone. Lenovo bought Motorola from Google signing a $2.9 billion contract. Once the details are straightened, Lenovo will be the third largest smartphone seller.
iDigitalTimes reported Lenovo could be in charge in manufacturing the Nexus 6. Two things can happen, it is either Lenovo or Motorola will work on the device. If this is the case, Nexus 6 can be a real threat to other Android smartphones.
Meanwhile, there is also the possibility that consumers may not be able to see the successor of Google Nexus 5. Tech industry Analyst Eldar Murtazin said Google will drop the Nexus line shifting its attention to the Google Play Editions of other Android smartphones. But Google remained tight-lipped about its timeline and future plans.
There were rumours that Google chickened out in making its own hardware due to the possibility of Samsung embracing the Tizen OS. Samsung played an immense role in the popularity of Google's Android.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners