Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Major Issue: Camera Poor Performance And Flash Bleed Plague Users; Galaxy S3 Captures Better?
By Ryan Inoyori | February 5, 2014 1:53 PM EST
Reports on Sony Xperia Z1 Compact have emerged. According to the owners, the flash bleeds. Flash bleed on Xperia Z1 Compact occurs during phototaking on low-light or night scene environments. Unfortunately, no known fix yet has been found to prevent flash bleeds.
Flash Bleeding Xperia
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact is a smartphone where everything you need is in a compact body. But it includes an unusual flash bleeds occuring during shots under low-light conditions or night scene.
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Camera
Richdog, a member of Sony Mobile forums, described the good and bad parts of Sony Xperia Z1 Compact's camera.
"I picked up a Sony Z1 Compact the other day and am so far absolutely in love with. The speed and responsiveness are fantastic, the build quality rivals that of the iPhone and the size is just perfection," good points according to Richdog.
"But, I am very disappointed with the camera and its poor performance. 80 per cent of the photos I take with my phone are white on a night out with friends, usually in bars or other more dimly lit places than broad daylight. In Auto mode, photos taken in the average pub lighting are unusable and look so artificial as to completely destroy any detail in the faces of the people I snap. I have also experimented with manual settings but still quality is just plain poor. In fact, my Samsung Galaxy S3 blows it out of the water in this regard, images in similar conditions are much superior," description by Richdog of the flash bleed and poor quality.
Richdog uploaded images for comparison of Xperia Z1 Compact and Galaxy S3 captures at the Sony Mobile forums site.
Any Fix Prior To Software Update?
Currently, fixing the issues of poor camera performance may rely on manual mode instead of using Superior Auto. Some adjustments on the ISO level with the right amount could help out generate better images. Also, photo application "Perfectly Clear" may help out since some users find it better on producing photos than the default camera app.
For the bleeding flash effect, some claims the black variant are less unaffected by the problem unlike on colored ones. Here are some details regarding the flash bleed on Xperia Z1 Compact:
- White light dominate images during low-light conditions
- Yellowish blur on lime light environments
- Wash-out image results in dim-lit places
- Reflection between the glass and lens could affect the bleed
- Blue hue may appear if images are too far during low-light scenes
A software update may fix the issue since not all models and color variants have been affected by the problem. Investigations are currently on their way to determine if the camera module has defect or simply faulty camera app.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2