Canada’s First Test Tube Baby Now a Dad, Own Son Conceived and Born the Natural Way
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 5, 2014 1:07 PM EST
Colin Rankin, Canada's first test tube baby, is now a first-time father. But compared to him and his twin Gregory, whose births made swooping headlines 32 years ago, his baby Clark was conceived and born the old, traditional way.
"I had my 15 minutes of fame when I was born," Mr Rankin told the London Free Press.
Still nothing beats the excitement and ecstatic joy when he finally met baby Clark on Jan 28 who was born at 7 pounds and 12 ounces in a London hospital.
"This guy coming out, I mean it was the best moment of my life," Mr Rankin said.
Video Source: YouTube/ Wellcome Library
For Catherine Rankin, mother of Canada's first test tube babies, circumstances may have been different how her twins came into the world, still she shared the same feeling when her grandson Clark was born.
Only that at least her grandson can enjoy a simpler and quieter life.
The time Colin and Gregory were born on March 25, 1982, the media has hounded their every move, achievement, milestones, activities and much more.
"By the time they're old enough to know what the difference is and understand it, they won't be different. I hope there will be many, many babies born to people who couldn't have children by the method we used," Catherine said.
She said she feels great that many followed suit with their decision to undergo in vitro fertilisation.
Sarah Rankin, baby Clark's mother, just feels great that she and Colin were able to conceive the natural way.
"Fortunately, we were really lucky, in that we didn't have any issues. Very fortunate."
The proud and happy parents hope Clark won't be their first and last.
"Three or four, two or three...definitely more than one - give Clark a brother or sister," Sarah said.
Video Source: YouTube/ IVF India
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Virgin Atlantic Space Tourism Rocket Crashes At Test Flight, 1 Dead
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles