Australian Dollar Outlook - February 5, 2014
By Christine Gaylican | February 5, 2014 12:23 PM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: The Australian Dollar rises above 0.8900 on Reserve Bank comments.
Australia: As expected, the RBA left its policy rate unchanged at 2.50% yesterday. The Governor's statement following the meeting, however, was
very different to recent months and contained a number of important developments in the Bank's thinking on the economy and monetary policy.
US dollar bills. (Reuters)
Most notably, there was a discrete shift in the Bank's thinking about its policy bias. Monetary policy was assessed to be "appropriately configured"
to foster sustainable growth in demand and inflation.
Furthermore, this neutral bias statement was qualified by "the most prudent course is likely to be a period of stability in interest rates". This latter statement may well be RBA forward guidance, suggesting that rates will not rapidly turn around and rise.
The AUD was also no longer described as "uncomfortably high" and the Bank was more constructive on the domestic economic outlook (although some caveats remain).
Majors: In Europe, there were small losses in most equity markets despite better news in the banking sector (led by UBS) and the bounce back in US shares. Not much in terms of economic data, with only the PPI released which came in at 0.2%mom/-0.8%yoy in December as expected. The EUR has been little changed overnight.
05 FEB AU AiG Perf of Services Index Jan
AU NAB Online Retail Index Dec
US ADP Employment Change Jan
US ISM Non-Manf Composite Jan
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff