Australian Dollar Outlook - February 5, 2014
By Christine Gaylican | February 5, 2014 12:23 PM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: The Australian Dollar rises above 0.8900 on Reserve Bank comments.
Australia: As expected, the RBA left its policy rate unchanged at 2.50% yesterday. The Governor's statement following the meeting, however, was
very different to recent months and contained a number of important developments in the Bank's thinking on the economy and monetary policy.
US dollar bills. (Reuters)
Most notably, there was a discrete shift in the Bank's thinking about its policy bias. Monetary policy was assessed to be "appropriately configured"
to foster sustainable growth in demand and inflation.
Furthermore, this neutral bias statement was qualified by "the most prudent course is likely to be a period of stability in interest rates". This latter statement may well be RBA forward guidance, suggesting that rates will not rapidly turn around and rise.
The AUD was also no longer described as "uncomfortably high" and the Bank was more constructive on the domestic economic outlook (although some caveats remain).
Majors: In Europe, there were small losses in most equity markets despite better news in the banking sector (led by UBS) and the bounce back in US shares. Not much in terms of economic data, with only the PPI released which came in at 0.2%mom/-0.8%yoy in December as expected. The EUR has been little changed overnight.
05 FEB AU AiG Perf of Services Index Jan
AU NAB Online Retail Index Dec
US ADP Employment Change Jan
US ISM Non-Manf Composite Jan
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen