Australian Stock Market Report – Morning 2/5/14
By Craig James, CommSec Chief Economist | February 5, 2014 10:33 AM EST
(8am US REPORT AEDT)
In US economic news, factory orders fell by 1.5% in December after rising by 1.5% November. The weakness was largely driven by a 9.7% decline in new orders for transportation. In fact factory orders excluding transportation lifted by 0.2%.
A worker assembles an engine inside the Royal Enfield motorcycle factory in Chennai April 6, 2012.
Chicago Fed President Evans (non-voter) said that he expects much better momentum for the US economy over 2014, as economic headwinds fade. Evan´s expects inflation to remain low and unemployment high, leading to rates staying near zero ´´well into 2015´´.
European shares eased marginally on Tuesday, pegged back by disappointing earnings results. Chip designer ARM fell 5.9% after royalty revenue came in below forecasts. Banks were well supported after UBS (up 5.4%) announced a higher-than-expected profit and dividend. The STOXX 600 Banking index rose by 2.1%. The FTSEurofirst 300 index fell by 0.2% with the UK FTSE down by 0.3% and the German Dax lower by 0.6%. Mining shares were mixed in London trade with BHP Billiton shares down by 0.5% while Rio Tinto rose by 0.7%.
US sharemarkets rose on Tuesday as bargain hunters stepped in following the prior session´s selloff. Consumer and financial stocks led the gains. At the close of trade left, the US Dow Jones was up by 72 points or 0.5% with the S&P 500 higher by 0.8% while the Nasdaq rose by 35pts or 0.9%.
US long-term treasury prices fell from three-month highs on Tuesday (yields higher) as stocks recovered and investors reduced demand for ´´safe haven´´ government bonds. US 2 year yields rose by 1 point to 0.31% while US 10 year yields rose by 4 points to 2.62%.
Major currencies rose against the greenback in European and US trade on Tuesday. The Euro hit early highs near US$1.3535 before easing to US$1.3495, and lifting to US$1.3510 in afternoon US trade. The Aussie dollar rose from lows near US87.30c to highs near US89.35c, and was near US89.35c in afternoon US trade. And the Japanese yen weakened from 100.80 yen per US dollar to JPY101.65 and was trading near JPY101.60 in afternoon US trade.
World oil prices were mixed on Tuesday as expectations of a drawdown in oil inventories was offset by slower growth concerns in China and the US. Brent crude fell by US36c or 0.3% to US$106.04 a barrel while US Nymex crude fell by US$1.06 or 1.1% to US$96.43 a barrel.
- Base metal prices were mostly higher on the London tal Exchange on Tuesday with aluminium (up 0.7%) leading the gains. Nickel lost 0.2%. The gold price traded within a tight range on Tuesday with the Comex gold futures closing down by US$8.70 or 0.7% to US$1,251.20 per ounce. The iron ore price was unchanged at US$122.60 a tonne.
Ahead: In Australia, new car sales data is released. In the US, the ISM non-manufacturing survey is issued.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 23, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales