John Key Seeks 3rd Term as NZ PM
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 5, 2014 10:06 AM EST
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key wants to win a third term as PM, he said on Tuesday morning at NewstalkZB. In wanting poll victory for the Nationals in this year's election, Mr Key said a PM's job is energising, but it could also be exhausting.
"If you had asked me in 2008 about being prime minister until 2017 I would have said, 'Gosh, that sounds like an awfully long time,' but when you're there, I don't know whether there's some seductive thing about the job, or whatever it is, but when you're there it goes really quickly ... a lot more quickly than I thought," Stuff.co.nz quoted Mr Key.
However, he also said the job could also be frustrating because as an MP, "you can't do everything you want, and even if you can you've got to carry the public with you."
Now at the start of his sixth year as NZ's PM, Mr Key said the changes that the government had put in place are working well, debt is expected to peak below where it was expected and the country's economy is growing.
New Zealand, in fact, is now called the rock star of the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development, while neighbour Australia's economy is limping.
Mr Key also doused cold water on speculations that he would hand over the prime ministership to Winston Peters amid speculation of a post-election coalition deal between National and New Zealand First Party.
"About as much chance as Amanda Knox holidaying in Italy. Zero," Mr Key concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How