John Key Seeks 3rd Term as NZ PM
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 5, 2014 10:06 AM EST
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key wants to win a third term as PM, he said on Tuesday morning at NewstalkZB. In wanting poll victory for the Nationals in this year's election, Mr Key said a PM's job is energising, but it could also be exhausting.
"If you had asked me in 2008 about being prime minister until 2017 I would have said, 'Gosh, that sounds like an awfully long time,' but when you're there, I don't know whether there's some seductive thing about the job, or whatever it is, but when you're there it goes really quickly ... a lot more quickly than I thought," Stuff.co.nz quoted Mr Key.
However, he also said the job could also be frustrating because as an MP, "you can't do everything you want, and even if you can you've got to carry the public with you."
Now at the start of his sixth year as NZ's PM, Mr Key said the changes that the government had put in place are working well, debt is expected to peak below where it was expected and the country's economy is growing.
New Zealand, in fact, is now called the rock star of the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development, while neighbour Australia's economy is limping.
Mr Key also doused cold water on speculations that he would hand over the prime ministership to Winston Peters amid speculation of a post-election coalition deal between National and New Zealand First Party.
"About as much chance as Amanda Knox holidaying in Italy. Zero," Mr Key concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October