Lorde Cancels Gear Up Aussie Fest To Focus On U.S. Shows
By Anne Lu | February 5, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Lorde has cancelled her appearance at the Gear Up 2014 music festival in Adelaide on February 28. The Kiwi songstress also withdrew her plans of touring Australia to focus on her U.S. career.
Gear Up, the University of South Australia’s O-Week music event, had hinted at a secret headliner, which it would announce in early February. That secret act turned out to be the 17-year-old Grammy winner, but she’s not doing the festival anymore.
According to Rip It Up, Lorde cancelled her appearance at the festival, which she was signed on since May 2013 before her single “Royals” became a massive hit.
“Unfortunately, due to the fact that Lorde is becoming one of the biggest and buzziest artists in the world right now, she is under a lot of pressure from everywhere in the world and it ultimately leads to timelines and goalposts shifting constantly and very quickly,” Daniel Sant of Lorde’s booking agency said in a statement to Rip It Up.
Apparently, Lorde’s U.S. commitments have extended beyond what was expected so she had to cancel some of her earlier bookings.
Gear Up organisers admitted that they are “extremely disappointed” that teenager had to break her engagement with them, but they understand why she had to pull out.
“It’s been an amazing rise for Lorde and we are extremely happy for her success. Unfortunately, this success has meant that she has had to pull out of her commitment to appear at Gear Up 2014,” festival spokesperson Anne Marie Parsons said in a statement.
Fortunately, the festival is “never about one artist,” and has other acts to feature, including San Cisco, Pond, Deep Sea Arcade, The Kills Girls, Bottlerockets, Valkyries, Dead End Friends, Tkay Maidza, and DJ Faint One.
Alpine and Miami Horror DJs have been announced as Lorde’s replacement.
The young singer also reportedly had plans to tour Australia, but that would have to be shelved for now because she would instead focus on conquering the American market.
This isn’t the first time Lorde had to cancel a show.
In January, she was set to headline the Laneway Festival in Auckland, but had to pull out weeks prior when she was announced as a Grammy Award nominee. She promised a make-up show, though. She won two gongs at the prestigious U.S. music awards show on January 26, and played a free show for ticketholders on January 29.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Remembering the Betrayal of the Freys
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Harry Styles-Paige Reifler Dating, Couple Back Together
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide