Lorde Cancels Gear Up Aussie Fest To Focus On U.S. Shows
By Anne Lu | February 5, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Lorde has cancelled her appearance at the Gear Up 2014 music festival in Adelaide on February 28. The Kiwi songstress also withdrew her plans of touring Australia to focus on her U.S. career.
Gear Up, the University of South Australia’s O-Week music event, had hinted at a secret headliner, which it would announce in early February. That secret act turned out to be the 17-year-old Grammy winner, but she’s not doing the festival anymore.
According to Rip It Up, Lorde cancelled her appearance at the festival, which she was signed on since May 2013 before her single “Royals” became a massive hit.
“Unfortunately, due to the fact that Lorde is becoming one of the biggest and buzziest artists in the world right now, she is under a lot of pressure from everywhere in the world and it ultimately leads to timelines and goalposts shifting constantly and very quickly,” Daniel Sant of Lorde’s booking agency said in a statement to Rip It Up.
Apparently, Lorde’s U.S. commitments have extended beyond what was expected so she had to cancel some of her earlier bookings.
Gear Up organisers admitted that they are “extremely disappointed” that teenager had to break her engagement with them, but they understand why she had to pull out.
“It’s been an amazing rise for Lorde and we are extremely happy for her success. Unfortunately, this success has meant that she has had to pull out of her commitment to appear at Gear Up 2014,” festival spokesperson Anne Marie Parsons said in a statement.
Fortunately, the festival is “never about one artist,” and has other acts to feature, including San Cisco, Pond, Deep Sea Arcade, The Kills Girls, Bottlerockets, Valkyries, Dead End Friends, Tkay Maidza, and DJ Faint One.
Alpine and Miami Horror DJs have been announced as Lorde’s replacement.
The young singer also reportedly had plans to tour Australia, but that would have to be shelved for now because she would instead focus on conquering the American market.
This isn’t the first time Lorde had to cancel a show.
In January, she was set to headline the Laneway Festival in Auckland, but had to pull out weeks prior when she was announced as a Grammy Award nominee. She promised a make-up show, though. She won two gongs at the prestigious U.S. music awards show on January 26, and played a free show for ticketholders on January 29.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon