Lorde Cancels Gear Up Aussie Fest To Focus On U.S. Shows
By Anne Lu | February 5, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Lorde has cancelled her appearance at the Gear Up 2014 music festival in Adelaide on February 28. The Kiwi songstress also withdrew her plans of touring Australia to focus on her U.S. career.
Gear Up, the University of South Australia’s O-Week music event, had hinted at a secret headliner, which it would announce in early February. That secret act turned out to be the 17-year-old Grammy winner, but she’s not doing the festival anymore.
According to Rip It Up, Lorde cancelled her appearance at the festival, which she was signed on since May 2013 before her single “Royals” became a massive hit.
“Unfortunately, due to the fact that Lorde is becoming one of the biggest and buzziest artists in the world right now, she is under a lot of pressure from everywhere in the world and it ultimately leads to timelines and goalposts shifting constantly and very quickly,” Daniel Sant of Lorde’s booking agency said in a statement to Rip It Up.
Apparently, Lorde’s U.S. commitments have extended beyond what was expected so she had to cancel some of her earlier bookings.
Gear Up organisers admitted that they are “extremely disappointed” that teenager had to break her engagement with them, but they understand why she had to pull out.
“It’s been an amazing rise for Lorde and we are extremely happy for her success. Unfortunately, this success has meant that she has had to pull out of her commitment to appear at Gear Up 2014,” festival spokesperson Anne Marie Parsons said in a statement.
Fortunately, the festival is “never about one artist,” and has other acts to feature, including San Cisco, Pond, Deep Sea Arcade, The Kills Girls, Bottlerockets, Valkyries, Dead End Friends, Tkay Maidza, and DJ Faint One.
Alpine and Miami Horror DJs have been announced as Lorde’s replacement.
The young singer also reportedly had plans to tour Australia, but that would have to be shelved for now because she would instead focus on conquering the American market.
This isn’t the first time Lorde had to cancel a show.
In January, she was set to headline the Laneway Festival in Auckland, but had to pull out weeks prior when she was announced as a Grammy Award nominee. She promised a make-up show, though. She won two gongs at the prestigious U.S. music awards show on January 26, and played a free show for ticketholders on January 29.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS