Lorde Cancels Gear Up Aussie Fest To Focus On U.S. Shows
By Anne Lu | February 5, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Lorde has cancelled her appearance at the Gear Up 2014 music festival in Adelaide on February 28. The Kiwi songstress also withdrew her plans of touring Australia to focus on her U.S. career.
Gear Up, the University of South Australia’s O-Week music event, had hinted at a secret headliner, which it would announce in early February. That secret act turned out to be the 17-year-old Grammy winner, but she’s not doing the festival anymore.
According to Rip It Up, Lorde cancelled her appearance at the festival, which she was signed on since May 2013 before her single “Royals” became a massive hit.
“Unfortunately, due to the fact that Lorde is becoming one of the biggest and buzziest artists in the world right now, she is under a lot of pressure from everywhere in the world and it ultimately leads to timelines and goalposts shifting constantly and very quickly,” Daniel Sant of Lorde’s booking agency said in a statement to Rip It Up.
Apparently, Lorde’s U.S. commitments have extended beyond what was expected so she had to cancel some of her earlier bookings.
Gear Up organisers admitted that they are “extremely disappointed” that teenager had to break her engagement with them, but they understand why she had to pull out.
“It’s been an amazing rise for Lorde and we are extremely happy for her success. Unfortunately, this success has meant that she has had to pull out of her commitment to appear at Gear Up 2014,” festival spokesperson Anne Marie Parsons said in a statement.
Fortunately, the festival is “never about one artist,” and has other acts to feature, including San Cisco, Pond, Deep Sea Arcade, The Kills Girls, Bottlerockets, Valkyries, Dead End Friends, Tkay Maidza, and DJ Faint One.
Alpine and Miami Horror DJs have been announced as Lorde’s replacement.
The young singer also reportedly had plans to tour Australia, but that would have to be shelved for now because she would instead focus on conquering the American market.
This isn’t the first time Lorde had to cancel a show.
In January, she was set to headline the Laneway Festival in Auckland, but had to pull out weeks prior when she was announced as a Grammy Award nominee. She promised a make-up show, though. She won two gongs at the prestigious U.S. music awards show on January 26, and played a free show for ticketholders on January 29.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique