Arsenal FC Transfer News: Zenit Looks to Snatch Gunners’ Defender this Month
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 5, 2014 6:08 AM EST
Russian giants Zenit Saint Petersburg are looking to snatch Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen away from the Emirates as they still have about 23 days to purchase target players.
Russian club Zenit Saint Petersburg is looking to sign Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen
Once a prominent figure in the first-team, the Belgian is no longer regarded as a priority to anchor the back-line, with injuries and teammates' better performances to blame.
Vermaelen, whose World Cup spot is at risk because of his limited appearances - 11 games in total - for the Gunners this campaign, may be considering moving away from north London temporarily to earn game time.
He is currently the captain of his national team, but performing to his utmost potential, come the second week of June, is a different story.
Zenit have the resources to lure the Premier League club into a deal, while presenting opportunities to convince the 28-year-old to make a move, but it may all boil down to the decision of Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, who sees the former Ajax man as a vital part of his squad in their quest for the Premiership title, on whether he will agree or, at least, listen to any proposal for his back-up centre-back.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales