Arsenal FC Transfer News: Zenit Looks to Snatch Gunners’ Defender this Month
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 5, 2014 6:08 AM EST
Russian giants Zenit Saint Petersburg are looking to snatch Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen away from the Emirates as they still have about 23 days to purchase target players.
Russian club Zenit Saint Petersburg is looking to sign Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen
Once a prominent figure in the first-team, the Belgian is no longer regarded as a priority to anchor the back-line, with injuries and teammates' better performances to blame.
Vermaelen, whose World Cup spot is at risk because of his limited appearances - 11 games in total - for the Gunners this campaign, may be considering moving away from north London temporarily to earn game time.
He is currently the captain of his national team, but performing to his utmost potential, come the second week of June, is a different story.
Zenit have the resources to lure the Premier League club into a deal, while presenting opportunities to convince the 28-year-old to make a move, but it may all boil down to the decision of Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, who sees the former Ajax man as a vital part of his squad in their quest for the Premiership title, on whether he will agree or, at least, listen to any proposal for his back-up centre-back.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles