Arsenal FC Transfer News: Zenit Looks to Snatch Gunners’ Defender this Month
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 5, 2014 6:08 AM EST
Russian giants Zenit Saint Petersburg are looking to snatch Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen away from the Emirates as they still have about 23 days to purchase target players.
Russian club Zenit Saint Petersburg is looking to sign Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen
Once a prominent figure in the first-team, the Belgian is no longer regarded as a priority to anchor the back-line, with injuries and teammates' better performances to blame.
Vermaelen, whose World Cup spot is at risk because of his limited appearances - 11 games in total - for the Gunners this campaign, may be considering moving away from north London temporarily to earn game time.
He is currently the captain of his national team, but performing to his utmost potential, come the second week of June, is a different story.
Zenit have the resources to lure the Premier League club into a deal, while presenting opportunities to convince the 28-year-old to make a move, but it may all boil down to the decision of Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, who sees the former Ajax man as a vital part of his squad in their quest for the Premiership title, on whether he will agree or, at least, listen to any proposal for his back-up centre-back.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS