NBA Trade Rumors Roundup: Phoenix Suns Eyeing Pau Gasol; Russell Westbrook May Join New York Knicks
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2014 1:20 AM EST
Some high-profile transfers are expected before the NBA trade deadline comes to a close on 20 February, with big names like Pau Gasol, Russell Westbrook and Tyson Chandler likely to leave their current teams.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
ESPN, citing sources, claims Phoenix Suns are a potential suitor for Los Angeles Lakers center Gasol. The Suns, who have $5.6 million available for salary, can also opt for swapping Emeka Okafor for Gasol, though the former's $14.5 million salary is much lesser than the latter's $19.3 million.
Gasol almost moved to the Cleveland Cavaliers a few weeks ago, when the Lakers tried to swap him with Andrew Bynum. The talks broke down and Cleveland traded Bynum to the Chicago Bulls for Luol Deng instead.
In another possible swap, the New York Knicks might sign Oklahoma City Thunder All-Star point guard Westbrook, in exchange for their center Tyson Chandler.
The Knicks, who are in danger of missing the post-season once again, might consider the swap involving Chandler and Westbrook, said a report by The Latino Post. It added that the Knicks are barely competitive in the playoff battle in the conference, despite the acquisition of Andrea Bargnani, Metta World Peace, Beno Udrih and Tim Hardaway Jr. in the offseason.
Del Pearson of Yahoo Sports is of the opinion that the current woes of the Knicks can be fixed by bringing in Westbrook.
"The Knicks' struggles can be easily fixed by addressing two main issues: an unhealthy frontcourt and inconsistent point-guard play. Both of these issues can be addressed in one fell swoop by acquiring Russell Westbrook from the Oklahoma City Thunder," wrote Pearson.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch