NBA Trade Rumors Roundup: Phoenix Suns Eyeing Pau Gasol; Russell Westbrook May Join New York Knicks
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2014 1:20 AM EST
Some high-profile transfers are expected before the NBA trade deadline comes to a close on 20 February, with big names like Pau Gasol, Russell Westbrook and Tyson Chandler likely to leave their current teams.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
ESPN, citing sources, claims Phoenix Suns are a potential suitor for Los Angeles Lakers center Gasol. The Suns, who have $5.6 million available for salary, can also opt for swapping Emeka Okafor for Gasol, though the former's $14.5 million salary is much lesser than the latter's $19.3 million.
Gasol almost moved to the Cleveland Cavaliers a few weeks ago, when the Lakers tried to swap him with Andrew Bynum. The talks broke down and Cleveland traded Bynum to the Chicago Bulls for Luol Deng instead.
In another possible swap, the New York Knicks might sign Oklahoma City Thunder All-Star point guard Westbrook, in exchange for their center Tyson Chandler.
The Knicks, who are in danger of missing the post-season once again, might consider the swap involving Chandler and Westbrook, said a report by The Latino Post. It added that the Knicks are barely competitive in the playoff battle in the conference, despite the acquisition of Andrea Bargnani, Metta World Peace, Beno Udrih and Tim Hardaway Jr. in the offseason.
Del Pearson of Yahoo Sports is of the opinion that the current woes of the Knicks can be fixed by bringing in Westbrook.
"The Knicks' struggles can be easily fixed by addressing two main issues: an unhealthy frontcourt and inconsistent point-guard play. Both of these issues can be addressed in one fell swoop by acquiring Russell Westbrook from the Oklahoma City Thunder," wrote Pearson.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS