NBA Trade Rumors Roundup: Phoenix Suns Eyeing Pau Gasol; Russell Westbrook May Join New York Knicks
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2014 1:20 AM EST
Some high-profile transfers are expected before the NBA trade deadline comes to a close on 20 February, with big names like Pau Gasol, Russell Westbrook and Tyson Chandler likely to leave their current teams.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
ESPN, citing sources, claims Phoenix Suns are a potential suitor for Los Angeles Lakers center Gasol. The Suns, who have $5.6 million available for salary, can also opt for swapping Emeka Okafor for Gasol, though the former's $14.5 million salary is much lesser than the latter's $19.3 million.
Gasol almost moved to the Cleveland Cavaliers a few weeks ago, when the Lakers tried to swap him with Andrew Bynum. The talks broke down and Cleveland traded Bynum to the Chicago Bulls for Luol Deng instead.
In another possible swap, the New York Knicks might sign Oklahoma City Thunder All-Star point guard Westbrook, in exchange for their center Tyson Chandler.
The Knicks, who are in danger of missing the post-season once again, might consider the swap involving Chandler and Westbrook, said a report by The Latino Post. It added that the Knicks are barely competitive in the playoff battle in the conference, despite the acquisition of Andrea Bargnani, Metta World Peace, Beno Udrih and Tim Hardaway Jr. in the offseason.
Del Pearson of Yahoo Sports is of the opinion that the current woes of the Knicks can be fixed by bringing in Westbrook.
"The Knicks' struggles can be easily fixed by addressing two main issues: an unhealthy frontcourt and inconsistent point-guard play. Both of these issues can be addressed in one fell swoop by acquiring Russell Westbrook from the Oklahoma City Thunder," wrote Pearson.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Manchester United: Van Gaal Warns Stars That He Will Willingly Bench Them
- Top 5 NBA Teams With The Highest Payroll In The 2014-2015 Season