NBA Trade Rumors Roundup: Phoenix Suns Eyeing Pau Gasol; Russell Westbrook May Join New York Knicks
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2014 1:20 AM EST
Some high-profile transfers are expected before the NBA trade deadline comes to a close on 20 February, with big names like Pau Gasol, Russell Westbrook and Tyson Chandler likely to leave their current teams.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
ESPN, citing sources, claims Phoenix Suns are a potential suitor for Los Angeles Lakers center Gasol. The Suns, who have $5.6 million available for salary, can also opt for swapping Emeka Okafor for Gasol, though the former's $14.5 million salary is much lesser than the latter's $19.3 million.
Gasol almost moved to the Cleveland Cavaliers a few weeks ago, when the Lakers tried to swap him with Andrew Bynum. The talks broke down and Cleveland traded Bynum to the Chicago Bulls for Luol Deng instead.
In another possible swap, the New York Knicks might sign Oklahoma City Thunder All-Star point guard Westbrook, in exchange for their center Tyson Chandler.
The Knicks, who are in danger of missing the post-season once again, might consider the swap involving Chandler and Westbrook, said a report by The Latino Post. It added that the Knicks are barely competitive in the playoff battle in the conference, despite the acquisition of Andrea Bargnani, Metta World Peace, Beno Udrih and Tim Hardaway Jr. in the offseason.
Del Pearson of Yahoo Sports is of the opinion that the current woes of the Knicks can be fixed by bringing in Westbrook.
"The Knicks' struggles can be easily fixed by addressing two main issues: an unhealthy frontcourt and inconsistent point-guard play. Both of these issues can be addressed in one fell swoop by acquiring Russell Westbrook from the Oklahoma City Thunder," wrote Pearson.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People