Nissan Datsun GO Production Commences; Likely to Fall in Sub ₹4 Lakh
By greeshma m | February 5, 2014 12:06 AM EST
Japanese auto-maker Nissan rolled out its latest hatchback Datsun GO on Tuesday, from the Renault-Nissan alliance plant at Oragadam, Chennai.
The company, which has revived its Datsun model after almost three decades, also announced the start of production of Datsun GO hatchback for India. The entry level hatchback is expected to mark its market entry in March and will compete with the likes of Maruti Alto K10 and Hyundai i10.
State industries minister P Thangamani launched the car in Chennai in the presence of Nissan Motor Vice-Chairman Toshiyuki Shiga, Corporate Vice-President and Global Head-Datsun Vincent Cobee and Consul General of Japan Masanari Nakano.
"From day one, we knew that the key to success of the Datsun brand was that the cars must be developed, engineered and manufactured locally. By working this way, we have a unique insight into the consumer's needs which enables us to build a car that meets and even exceeds expectations," said Vincent Cobee, Global Head of Datsun at the launch.
Datsun GO is likely to fall in the sub ₹4 lakh price range in the domestic market and will be sold from exclusive Datsun dealerships. It is based on the Nissan Micra platform and will come with 1.2L petrol engine, which is mated to 5-speed manual transmission. The company will introduce three variants of Datsun GO in India.
"We will introduce three variants of Datsun GO. The top variant will be under ₹4 lakh (price bracket)...," said Cobee, according to PTI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase