Nissan Datsun GO Production Commences; Likely to Fall in Sub ₹4 Lakh
By greeshma m | February 5, 2014 12:06 AM EST
Japanese auto-maker Nissan rolled out its latest hatchback Datsun GO on Tuesday, from the Renault-Nissan alliance plant at Oragadam, Chennai.
The company, which has revived its Datsun model after almost three decades, also announced the start of production of Datsun GO hatchback for India. The entry level hatchback is expected to mark its market entry in March and will compete with the likes of Maruti Alto K10 and Hyundai i10.
State industries minister P Thangamani launched the car in Chennai in the presence of Nissan Motor Vice-Chairman Toshiyuki Shiga, Corporate Vice-President and Global Head-Datsun Vincent Cobee and Consul General of Japan Masanari Nakano.
"From day one, we knew that the key to success of the Datsun brand was that the cars must be developed, engineered and manufactured locally. By working this way, we have a unique insight into the consumer's needs which enables us to build a car that meets and even exceeds expectations," said Vincent Cobee, Global Head of Datsun at the launch.
Datsun GO is likely to fall in the sub ₹4 lakh price range in the domestic market and will be sold from exclusive Datsun dealerships. It is based on the Nissan Micra platform and will come with 1.2L petrol engine, which is mated to 5-speed manual transmission. The company will introduce three variants of Datsun GO in India.
"We will introduce three variants of Datsun GO. The top variant will be under ₹4 lakh (price bracket)...," said Cobee, according to PTI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money