Super Bowl XLVIII: 9/11 Truther Incident Highlights Security Flaw [VIDEO]
By Keerthi Mohan | February 4, 2014 9:00 PM EST
The incident where a 9/11 truther sneaked past security, without a ticket or proper clearance, to highjack Super Bowl XLVIII postgame event, shows that the Sunday’s affair wasn’t as safe as one would have liked.
A Seattle Seahawks fan goes through security before the start of the NFL Super Bowl XLVIII football game in East Rutherford, New Jersey, February 2, 2014.
Matthew Mills, the Brooklyn man who interrupted the show, is a 30-year-old independent journalist, whose sole intention was to get near the MetLife Stadium to conduct fan interviews.
He got past security using an old credential, very similar to the one supplied to media personnel covering the Super Bowl.
"I just said I was running late for work and I had to get in there," Mills told NJ.com. "It was that simple."
"I didn't think that I'd get that far. I just kept getting closer and closer. Once I got past the final gate and into the stadium, I was dumbfounded," he added.
Mills’ gate-crashing incident has highlighted the lack of sufficient security at the sporting game. Millions of dollars are believed to have been spent to beef up security, which included employing the services of bomb-sniffing dogs and screenings through metal detectors.
And despite these measures, Mills was able to enter the stadium without a ticket.
"I don't feel the security was all that it was hyped up to be," Mills explained. "I was put through the screening process, so it's not like I could have gotten a weapon in or anything."
Meanwhile, New Jersey State Police spokesman Capt. Stephen Jones told the website that the primary security provider, Security, Athletic Facilities & Events (SAFE) Management, was responsible for checking media credentials at the gate.
“S.A.F.E. is the primary security provider for the Super Bowl XLVIII campus that includes, MetLife Stadium, the Izod Center, and the Meadowlands Racetrack,” the company's website stated.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports