Super Bowl XLVIII: 9/11 Truther Incident Highlights Security Flaw [VIDEO]
By Keerthi Mohan | February 4, 2014 9:00 PM EST
The incident where a 9/11 truther sneaked past security, without a ticket or proper clearance, to highjack Super Bowl XLVIII postgame event, shows that the Sunday’s affair wasn’t as safe as one would have liked.
A Seattle Seahawks fan goes through security before the start of the NFL Super Bowl XLVIII football game in East Rutherford, New Jersey, February 2, 2014.
Matthew Mills, the Brooklyn man who interrupted the show, is a 30-year-old independent journalist, whose sole intention was to get near the MetLife Stadium to conduct fan interviews.
He got past security using an old credential, very similar to the one supplied to media personnel covering the Super Bowl.
"I just said I was running late for work and I had to get in there," Mills told NJ.com. "It was that simple."
"I didn't think that I'd get that far. I just kept getting closer and closer. Once I got past the final gate and into the stadium, I was dumbfounded," he added.
Mills’ gate-crashing incident has highlighted the lack of sufficient security at the sporting game. Millions of dollars are believed to have been spent to beef up security, which included employing the services of bomb-sniffing dogs and screenings through metal detectors.
And despite these measures, Mills was able to enter the stadium without a ticket.
"I don't feel the security was all that it was hyped up to be," Mills explained. "I was put through the screening process, so it's not like I could have gotten a weapon in or anything."
Meanwhile, New Jersey State Police spokesman Capt. Stephen Jones told the website that the primary security provider, Security, Athletic Facilities & Events (SAFE) Management, was responsible for checking media credentials at the gate.
“S.A.F.E. is the primary security provider for the Super Bowl XLVIII campus that includes, MetLife Stadium, the Izod Center, and the Meadowlands Racetrack,” the company's website stated.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report