Who Was Philip Seymour Hoffman’s Heroin Dealer? Police have a Simple Clue
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 4, 2014 8:40 PM EST
The 72 small bags of heroin found in Philip Seymour Hofman's Greenwich Village apartment has added to the growing mystery on the actor's death. Police are now hunting for the dealer who supplied the drugs to the actor adding to the imprecision in the case.
A copy of a New York Times Magazine with a photo of movie actor Philip Seymour Hoffman on the cover is pictured as part of a makeshift memorial in front of his apartment building in New York February 3, 2014. An autopsy will be conducted on Monday on acclaimed stage and film actor Hoffman, who was found dead in his Manhattan apartment on February 2 of an apparent drug overdose, an official said. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
While the internet is still buzzing with news reports, rumors and reminiscences on the dead actor, an article in the New York Post that talked about police's citywide search for the drug dealer who sold heroin to the troubled actor, is gaining much attention. The 46-year-old was found dead Sunday in his $10,000-a-month apartment with a hypodermic needle stuck in his arm.
The Post reported that cops are taking the lead with the logo marked in the heroin bags found in the apartment. 49 sealed bags and 23 other bags that were open and used, were found. Among all the bags, 59 were marked "Ace of Spades" and 13 had the "Ace of Hearts" logo.
The news outlet reported that Timothy Bugge of Manhattan South Narcotics e-mailed an alert to police supervisors asking if anyone had dealt with the heroin labeled as "Ace of Spades" or "Ace of hearts".
Police are also trying to find if Hoffman's supply was laced with fentanyl - a drug given to cancer patients to sooth their pain. The mixture has been linked to 100 deaths in America - with about three dozen deaths in Maryland since September attributed to such a combination, reported The Daily Mail.
Adding to the intrigue is the fact that, the unusual brand names haven't been seen in New York since 2008.
But the question that has been asked is: will police really find a lead just by the logo or is the entire prospect a fascinating but hopeless cause?
Christopher Kaulouris with the Scallywag and Bagabond website writes that the exercise to find the drug dealer is nothing more than "wishful thinking" and a "public relations" stunt.
"And yet as much as all the above is true, where do cops start? Which is to say if the drug trade hasn't been tempered after all these years what makes authorities suddenly believe they will get their man? Do we only want to get our man when a high name celebrity becomes a casualty?" he notes.
Even while everyone agrees that Hoffman's death was unfortunate, the actor has sadly appeared among the list of individuals who have succumbed to the increasing trend of drug abuse in the York Corridor. The Daily Beast reports that heroin is sold in Brooklyn and Queens at such an extreme discount and frequency that prosecutors have dubbed the long Island Expressway "heroin highway."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1: ‘The Biggest Action Sequence That We Have Ever Attempted’ [VIDEO]
- 'Terminator' 5 And 'Jurassic World' Trailers To Be Released Soon
- ‘Star Wars’ 7 Plot Leak – New Villain And Stormtroopers New Look [Spoilers]
- 'Doctor Who' Casting News: 'GOT' Actress Rose Leslie Favoured To Play As 'Clara Oswald'
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region