Super Bowl 2014: Bruno Mars, RHCP Make History, Get More Viewership than the Game [PHOTOS]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 4, 2014 8:35 PM EST
Singer Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers made history this year with the Super Bowl halftime show gaining more views than the game itself.
The Super Bowl game averaged 111.5 million viewers, narrowly topping the 2010's 111 million figure, according to an official NFL statement . But for the halftime show, over four million more viewers tuned in.
While numerous doubts were raised on how successful Mars' performance would be, the Grammy winner's show is now being termed as the "concert of the year".
In the past, Super Bowl might have seen performances from the likes of Sir Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna and Beyonce, but the "Locked Out of Heaven hitmaker evidently stole hearts. Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers have beaten the track of Beyonce, who had 110.8 million viewers tuning in in 2013. Madonna's 2012 Super Bowl performance was viewed by 114 million people.
Fox in an official statement claimed that this year's Super Bowl generated intence excitement and interest as it was being played in an outdoor stadium in the cold-weather for the first time.
Fox's statement also noted that the most active moment on social media during the game was when Seattle Seahawks’s Percy Harvin returned the second half kickoff 87 yards for a touchdown. The game in short also set standards for the most-streamed sports event online with 24.9 million tweets.
Additionally, it was not just the halftime show that made history. This is the first time Seattle Seahawks clinched the title against Denver Broncos.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter