Super Bowl 2014: Bruno Mars, RHCP Make History, Get More Viewership than the Game [PHOTOS]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 4, 2014 8:35 PM EST
Singer Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers made history this year with the Super Bowl halftime show gaining more views than the game itself.
The Super Bowl game averaged 111.5 million viewers, narrowly topping the 2010's 111 million figure, according to an official NFL statement . But for the halftime show, over four million more viewers tuned in.
While numerous doubts were raised on how successful Mars' performance would be, the Grammy winner's show is now being termed as the "concert of the year".
In the past, Super Bowl might have seen performances from the likes of Sir Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna and Beyonce, but the "Locked Out of Heaven hitmaker evidently stole hearts. Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers have beaten the track of Beyonce, who had 110.8 million viewers tuning in in 2013. Madonna's 2012 Super Bowl performance was viewed by 114 million people.
Fox in an official statement claimed that this year's Super Bowl generated intence excitement and interest as it was being played in an outdoor stadium in the cold-weather for the first time.
Fox's statement also noted that the most active moment on social media during the game was when Seattle Seahawks’s Percy Harvin returned the second half kickoff 87 yards for a touchdown. The game in short also set standards for the most-streamed sports event online with 24.9 million tweets.
Additionally, it was not just the halftime show that made history. This is the first time Seattle Seahawks clinched the title against Denver Broncos.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced