Super Bowl 2014: Bruno Mars, RHCP Make History, Get More Viewership than the Game [PHOTOS]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 4, 2014 8:35 PM EST
Singer Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers made history this year with the Super Bowl halftime show gaining more views than the game itself.
The Super Bowl game averaged 111.5 million viewers, narrowly topping the 2010's 111 million figure, according to an official NFL statement . But for the halftime show, over four million more viewers tuned in.
While numerous doubts were raised on how successful Mars' performance would be, the Grammy winner's show is now being termed as the "concert of the year".
In the past, Super Bowl might have seen performances from the likes of Sir Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna and Beyonce, but the "Locked Out of Heaven hitmaker evidently stole hearts. Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers have beaten the track of Beyonce, who had 110.8 million viewers tuning in in 2013. Madonna's 2012 Super Bowl performance was viewed by 114 million people.
Fox in an official statement claimed that this year's Super Bowl generated intence excitement and interest as it was being played in an outdoor stadium in the cold-weather for the first time.
Fox's statement also noted that the most active moment on social media during the game was when Seattle Seahawks’s Percy Harvin returned the second half kickoff 87 yards for a touchdown. The game in short also set standards for the most-streamed sports event online with 24.9 million tweets.
Additionally, it was not just the halftime show that made history. This is the first time Seattle Seahawks clinched the title against Denver Broncos.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Wildfires in Canada & U.S. ‘Still Active’
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports