Australian Men Recruited for Breast Cancer Research; Wales Claim Highest Cancer Survival Rate
By Reissa Su | February 4, 2014 6:47 PM EST
Top breast cancer experts are urging Australian men to sign up for cancer research which aims to reduce the recruitment time for studies.
Pink balloons are displayed in front of an artificial waterfall during the "Pink Ribbon" breast cancer awareness campaign at Cheonggye Stream in central Seoul October 5, 2011. (Reuters)
National Breast Cancer Foundation CEO Carole Renouf said that the traditional method for recruitment usually takes years which can deplete resources and delay research findings. The online research register known as Register4 will help speed things along from a span of two years to a matter of two days.
Ms Renouf stated she has seen a shift in research that covers different types of cancers. By setting up Register4, the research process will be accelerated for people who have cancer. Aside from Australian men and women who have cancer, healthy people are encouraged to register.
Cancer researchers will benefit from the online register as the database helps boost their studies.
Wales: highest cancer survival rate in UK
Meanwhile, Wales has the distinction of having the highest cancer survival rates in the UK, based on the results of the latest official report. The Welsh government released a report that although cancer survival rates are higher in Wales than other UK countries, the rates are still lower than the average in European countries for the common types of cancer.
As reported by Wales Online, Wales may be lagging behind European countries with cancers related to smoking having low outcomes across Europe. Only 13 per cent of people with lung cancer survive in Europe.
Cancer Research UK head of policy Sara Osborne said the Welsh report was "encouraging" but the improvements have to be made to ensure more people beat cancer. Ms Osborne said she is concerned about the low uptake of bowel screening. Bowel cancer can be treated successfully if a patient is diagnosed earlier.
The organisation is currently working with the government to improve early diagnosis so patients can seek effective treatment.
February 4 is World Cancer Day. Various organisations and support groups continue to spread cancer awareness and promote cancer research.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Australia to Host Human Tests for New Brain Tumour Treatment
- Medical Marijuana Ads In Canada Facing Crackdown: Health Canada Issues Warning Letters To 20 Licensed Producers
- Ebola Vaccine Shows High Immune System Response In Early Tests; Australia Lifts Travel Ban on Congo
- HIV Treatment News: Largest Truvada Trial Happening In Australia
- Ellen DeGeneres Gives El Cajon Man With Viral Weight Loss Video Ford Mustang
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones